Jul 22

Zucchini Casserole

Zucchini Casserole

Ahh…comfort food. This zucchini casserole is one of those perfect year-round potluck side dishes that works for almost every occasion (see also: Cheesy Potluck Potatoes). While zucchini and summer squash are in abundance during the Summer months, this dish will seem equally at home as part of a Thanksgiving spread as it will on your picnic table for an outdoor barbecue. I love the textures in this dish – it’s creamy and hearty with a crunchy topping and it makes for a filling side dish to poultry, steak, burgers or fish. Not only is this zucchini casserole a crowd pleaser, it’s also super simple to make and rings in at less than 130 calories or only 3 Weight Watchers SmartPoints per serving.

Zucchini Casserole

If you’re looking for more ways to use the zucchini in your garden or fridge, try one of these other zucchini recipes (you’ll see why it’s one of my favorite vegetables): Zucchini Squares, Zucchini Chicken Pasta in Tomato Cream SauceParmesan Zucchini Rounds, White Vegetable Lasagna Cups, Sausage-Stuffed Baked Zucchini, Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins, Balsamic Roasted Vegetables, Zucchini Tots, or White Vegetable Lasagna

Zucchini Casserole

Zucchini Casserole

Yield: 8 servings

• 3 ½ tablespoons light butter, divided
  • 2 medium zucchini, sliced into 1/4” slices
  • 2 medium summer squash (yellow zucchini), sliced into 1/4” slices
  • ½ cup diced onion
  • ½ cup shredded carrots
  • 10.75 oz can of 98% fat free Cream of Mushroom Soup
  • ½ cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
  • 2 cups Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Stuffing Mix, divided

1. Preheat the oven to 350.
  2. In a large saute pan or skillet, bring 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat until melted. Add the onion, zucchini, summer squash and carrots and saute for 3-4 minutes. Cover the pan and cook for an additional 5-6 minutes until the zucchini and summer squash are tender.
  3. Remove the squash mixture from heat and stir in the cream of mushroom soup, yogurt, and 1 ¼ cups of the stuffing until well combined. Transfer the mixture to a 2 QT casserole dish (I used a 7×11 dish) and spread evenly.
  4. Melt the remaining 1 ½ tablespoons of butter in a medium bowl and combine with the remaining ¾ cup of stuffing mix. Sprinkle the stuffing across the top of the zucchini mixture in the casserole dish. Bake for about 30 minutes and serve warm.

Weight Watchers SmartPoints:
3 per serving (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

3 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

128 calories, 19 g carbs, 4 g sugars, 4 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 5 g protein, 3 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)

adapted from my mom

Zucchini Casserole

Yum

37 Responses to “Zucchini Casserole”

Jillian @ Baby Doodah! — July 23, 2013 @ 12:31 am

This looks awesome!! I think I might add it to the menu for Emmett’s birthday party. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous — July 23, 2013 @ 3:20 am

Yum! Thank you!

jessica sills — July 23, 2013 @ 5:21 pm

This recipe looks absolutely delish!

Anonymous — July 24, 2013 @ 11:58 am

Is the stuffing prepared? Thanks! Jess

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — August 2nd, 2013 @ 11:04 pm

Nope, you just combine the mix with the butter 🙂

Jelise10 — July 25, 2013 @ 2:15 pm

Made this to go with pork chops last night, I loved it!! And so did my husband! I think this is a new go to side dish 🙂 Can’t wait to warm up my leftovers for lunch!

nazhamster85 — July 29, 2013 @ 11:37 pm

Oh my goodness!!! This. Is. Amazing!!! Made it tonight to go with grilled chicken, but I could’ve just eaten this! Excited to make it for friends next week!!

Thank you for such a great, healthy, comfort food recipe!!

• nazhamster85 replied: — October 8th, 2013 @ 4:58 pm

Every time I make this, I can’t believe how great it is!!

Trish — August 5, 2013 @ 4:39 pm

Absolutely delicious! I actually enjoyed it more the next day as leftovers!

Anonymous — August 8, 2013 @ 7:17 pm

I want to make this on the weekend, but was wondering if it was ok to put it together the night/day before and bake it when i’m ready to eat. Anyone tried this yet?

Barrie — August 13, 2013 @ 12:17 am

Sooo delicious! Both my husband and I loved this! Thank you, as always, for making healthy, Weight Watchers-friendly recipes that are so yummy!

Anonymous — August 13, 2013 @ 10:24 pm

Just made this and it was DEELISH. Even my non-zucchini loving 9 year old liked it. Thanks for another wonderful recipe.

Casandra — August 19, 2013 @ 11:48 pm

This was so delish. Thanks for the recipe!!

Anonymous — August 21, 2013 @ 3:37 am

I got this recipe from my grandma years ago and love it. I usually add chicken breasts and make it a meal of it’s own. So delicious!

badam003 — September 2, 2013 @ 12:19 am

Very good homey…comforting recipe. Happy to have another recipe for all the zucchini!!

Cassie — September 10, 2013 @ 5:13 pm

Ok so I substituted mushrooms for the shredded carrots and althought it changed the PP a little can I just say OMG?! SO SO GOOD.

VIcky — September 16, 2013 @ 11:52 pm

I made this with turkey meatloaf for dinner tonight, but with cream of broccoli instead of mushrooms, and it was so delicious. Thanks for another amazing recipe!!

Khrys — November 11, 2013 @ 5:09 pm

I decided to make this for our Thanksgiving potluck at work this week. So, I will have a ton of stuffing mix left over. So, I’m going to make it again for another potluck in a week or so, and then make two for Thanksgiving. That ought to teach that giant bag of stuffing a thing or two!

christine davis — March 17, 2014 @ 9:39 am

I know you say it’s 8 servings but I’m just wondering if anyone knows how much a serving is, 1/2 cup? 3/4 cup? It’s so much easier if I know ahead how much I can have and then let the family just take what they want. I might actually run out in the snow today to get what i need for tonight. i’m making blackened fish and this would go great!

• Emily replied: — March 17th, 2014 @ 8:54 pm

Sorry, when I make casseroles I always just cut them up grid style to determine servings. I will try to measure it out next time I make it! Hope it’s a hit with your family 🙂

Patty — March 30, 2014 @ 9:04 pm

I am new to weight watchers, about a month now and was thrilled to find your website. i made this casserole today and its wonderful. thank you so much for sharing all your wonderful recipes. i am doing the meatloaf muffins tomorrow

Diane — September 7, 2014 @ 11:30 pm

Do you think I can substitute sour cream for the yogurt?? It’s what I have on hand.

angela — September 27, 2014 @ 2:39 pm

When you say 2 medium sized zucchini about what weight (size in inches) are we talking about? Because I’m sure my view and everybody else’s view of medium is different.

Aubree — December 20, 2014 @ 1:37 am

I might be missing it but how much is a serving portion

• Emily Bites replied: — December 20th, 2014 @ 7:33 am

The servings are listed directly under the recipe title in the recipe section of the post! 🙂

Laura — September 15, 2015 @ 11:35 am

Do you use condensed cream of mushroom soup? I could only find the condensed version and didn’t add water to it or anything to mix it together so wondered if that was the correct way. It was perfect with baked chicken! But just curious if I did the soup part right lol

• Emily Bites replied: — September 21st, 2015 @ 11:14 am

Yup! Glad you liked it 🙂

Kristin — March 17, 2016 @ 6:58 am

This would be even healthier if you substituted Quinoa for the stuffing mix! Looks delicious.

Briana — April 9, 2016 @ 12:31 am

I agree with christine davis ! Id like to know the exact measurement for servings as well (oz or cups) since i am the only weight watchers in my home & everyone else likes to take as much as they like ! So excited to try this !

• Emily Bites replied: — April 12th, 2016 @ 1:52 pm

Hi Briana,
      I don’t have that information as that’s just not how I measured out this recipe. I can try to figure it out when I make it again in the future, though I’m not positive when that will be. If you want to figure it out yourself, you could always weigh your casserole dish empty and then weigh it again when the casserole comes out of the oven. Then you have the total weight of the contents and can divide that up by the number of servings. I hope that helps! Sorry i don’t have the information you’re looking for on hand. Hope you like it!

Jen — June 14, 2016 @ 9:53 am

Can you use something else in stead of butter? I read people using chicken stock to make stuffing would that work or you need the butter?

Laura — July 13, 2016 @ 6:18 pm

How much stuffing!

The ingredients say 2 cups, but the directions uses only 1 cup??

Thanks,
    Laura

Laura — July 13, 2016 @ 6:21 pm

Oh nevermind! 🙂

I see that the 1 is on a different line. I first saw it as 1/4 cup, but it’s actually 1 1/4 cups.

Thanks,
    Laura

Laura — July 13, 2016 @ 8:00 pm

I just made this for dinner. It was delicious!

Thanks!
    Laura

Heidi — July 20, 2016 @ 9:53 am

I just made this last night it was SOOOO good!

Super easy recipe to follow, and I was happy with the generous serving portion. I skipped adding in the butter to the stuffing mix at the end and simply topped my casserole with dry stuffing mix (to save on calories) and it was still delicious!

Andrea — August 8, 2016 @ 1:34 pm

My mom used to make this casserole when we were kids and I have dreams about it every once and a while. Today is one of those times. I am going to cook up some chicken and mix it in with it so it becomes more of the entire meal so I don’t have to dirty so many dishes on a Monday night! Hopefully it turns out nice!

Thanks for sharing!

Kathleen Edmisten — October 24, 2016 @ 7:27 pm

I tried this tonight but made a few adjustments to fit my dietary wants and it was delicious! I removed the stuffing and nixed the last tablespoon and a 1/2 of butter. I also added shredded chicken, and immediately after removing from the oven, I sprinkled 1 cup of low fat cheese on top so it would melt and the casserole cooled. It was delicious!