Aug 25

Spinach & Artichoke Dip

Spinach and Artichoke Dip

Are you ready for some football?? I can’t believe that Summer is almost over and Fall is just around the corner, but with school getting back in session, college football games starting this week and NFL regular season right around the corner, it seems the time is here. I’ll miss Summer a bit but I’m pretty anxious to get into Fall recipes! Pumpkin, cinnamon, apples, Thanksgiving sides, warm comforting casseroles and of course, game day finger foods perfect for your football spread!

Now, clearly you don’t have to be a football fan to enjoy an appetizer classic like this rich, cheesy Spinach & Artichoke Dip. In fact, this recipe is slightly modified from one my Sister-in-Law makes for all occasions. While I was on vacation with my family this month I devoured so much of it that when our actual dinner was ready I think I just moaned because I’d already eaten my fill. This dip is that good, and you won’t miss a thing using the lighter ingredients! I recommend serving this with veggies and Baked Tostitos for dipping.

If you’re looking for other tasty football-friendly recipes to complete your game day spread, check out: Pizza Logs, Buffalo Chicken BitesHot & Cheesy Bean Dip, Chicken Tortilla Soup, French Dip “Cupcakes”, Pizza Cups, Buffalo Chicken Chili, Cheeseburger Pizza, Buffalo Wing Hummus, Sausage-Stuffed Balsamic Mushrooms, Bacon, Cheddar & Beer Risotto, Slow Cooker Buffalo ChickenPepperoni Pizza Mini Puffs, Taco “Cupcakes”, Slow Cooker BBQ Beef, Southwest Egg Rolls, Bacon Cheeseburger Wraps and more!

Spinach and Artichoke Dip

Spinach & Artichoke Dip

Yield: 16 (1/4 cup) servings

• 16 oz (2 bricks) 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
  • ½ cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 ½ cups shredded 2% Mozzarella cheese, separated
  • 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, separated
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach, defrosted, squeezed and patted dry
  • 14 oz can artichoke hearts (packed in water or brine, not oil), drained and chopped
  • ¼ teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

1. Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese and yogurt and stir until well combined. Stir in 1 cup of the Mozzarella, 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan, the minced garlic, spinach, artichokes, pepper and red pepper flakes and mix until well combined.
  3. Transfer the mixture to an 8×8 (or 2 qt) casserole dish and spread evenly. Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup Mozzarella and tablespoon of Parmesan over the top. Bake for about 30 minutes until th edges are golden and the dip is heated through and bubbly. Serve warm.

Weight Watchers SmartPoints:
4 per serving (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

3 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

115 calories, 3 g carbs, 1 g sugars, 8 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 7 g protein, 1 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)

slightly adapted from my lovely Sister-in-Law, Julia

Yum

12 Responses to “Spinach & Artichoke Dip”

Melissa — August 25, 2013 @ 10:16 pm

My absolute favorite! If I could stop at one serving!!

Anonymous — September 11, 2013 @ 10:31 pm

I’m not a fan of artichokes, do you think it would still work if I doubled the spinach?

• Anonymous replied: — September 23rd, 2013 @ 9:10 pm

Yep, it would still be delicious!

Megan @ mealsfromthemountains.com — March 22, 2014 @ 6:55 pm

Made this tonight, have been craving this dip since having it as a snack at a restaurant last week and wanted to re-create it as healthfully as possible. I halved the recipe and had to sub 2% cottage cheese for the yogurt since I ate the last of my greek this morning. Tastes very good, thanks for posting the nutrition data too!

• Emily replied: — March 23rd, 2014 @ 2:21 pm

Glad it was yummy! 🙂

Daphney — March 26, 2014 @ 3:24 pm

How big is a serving?

• Emily replied: — March 26th, 2014 @ 3:28 pm

The number of servings and size is listed directly under the recipe title in the recipe section!

Kelly — April 2, 2014 @ 7:56 am

I made this dip for a party and it was a HUGE hit! However, being the overplanner I am, I tripled the recipe, which left me with a large amount of leftovers. Knowing that if I just put it in the fridge it’d end up going bad, I had to figure out what to do (I hate wasted food). I ended up mixing the leftovers with some leftover grilled chicken breast and made stuffed shells with a light alfredo sauce. It was just as delicious as a recycled leftover! Thanks for another great recipe!!

Jessica — April 22, 2015 @ 12:27 am

THIS IS THE BEST! I even make this every year for Thanksgiving!!! I do have to tell you that I’ve even made these into my own wonton “cupcakes”! I put this dip in the bottom half, and diced/shredded chicken and some cheese on the top. AMAZING!!

• Emily Bites replied: — April 26th, 2015 @ 8:46 pm

Great idea! So glad you love it 🙂

Lalitha — January 15, 2016 @ 11:50 am

is there any adjustments I should make when doubling the recipe for 40 – 50 people?

• Emily Bites replied: — January 15th, 2016 @ 3:28 pm

I’ve never made it for that many before, so it’s hard to say. I assume you’re making a few separate pans of it? If you’re putting more in each pan you may need to cook for a few more minutes but other than that the recipe should stay the same. 🙂