Oct 18

Deep Dish Sloppy Joe Casserole

Deep Dish Sloppy Joe Casserole

If this Deep Dish Sloppy Joe Casserole looks a little bit familiar, that probably means you’ve been with me for quite a while. Back when I started this blog, one of my first recipes was a Deep Dish Pizza Casserole that I still get a lot of comments about – its popularity has stood the test of time! Now that the weather is starting to cool down a bit, I’ve been craving hearty, meaty casseroles that fill me up and warm me from the inside out. I’ve also had sloppy joes on the brain, because my fiancé made some recently and he thinks I eat them weird. I guess I do…I’m way more interested in getting straight to all the saucy meat, so the bun really just gets in the way for me. Plus, eating sloppy joes as a sandwich is just so…sloppy. I usually just put half the bun in the bottom of a bowl, cover it with meat and eat it with a fork or just skip the bun altogether. A bowl of meat? I guess I am kind of weird.

Deep Dish Sloppy Joe Casserole

Anyway, for some reason the half-bun covered in saucy ground beef reminded me of my original deep dish casserole and gave me the idea to make it again but with sloppy joe flavoring. Not to toot my own horn, but this was a GENIUS idea – it’s so good!! Now this is a meat-to-bread ratio I can get on board with! Plus, since I’m calling it a casserole, it’s not weird for me to eat it with a fork. That’s a casserole given! For all you sloppy joe purists out there, don’t worry, this is still plenty sloppy. The pizza crust is bursting with rich, saucy meat and melty cheese, and the edges of the dough get nice and crusty. These are really nice, filling servings too; perfect comfort food for a chilly day!

Deep Dish Sloppy Joe Casserole

Deep Dish Sloppy Joe Casserole

Yield: 6 servings

• 1 lb 95% lean ground beef
  • 1 tablespoon McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning (I used the reduced sodium kind)
  • 8 oz white mushrooms, minced (I used a food processor)
  • 1 medium carrot, minced (I used a food processor)
  • 1 medium onion, minced (I used a food processor)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced (I used a food processor)
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
  • 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
  • 15 oz can of tomato sauce
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 (11 oz) can of refrigerated pizza crust dough (such as Pillsbury thin crust)
  • 1 cup shredded 2% Mozzarella cheese

1. Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees. Lightly mist a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
  2. Bring a large saute pan or skillet over medium-high heat and add the ground beef. Break the ground beef up with a spoon or spatula while cooking. Sprinkle with steak seasoning and continue to cook until beef is browned. Add the mushrooms, carrot, onion, garlic, vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce and reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the brown sugar, cayenne pepper, tomato sauce, and tomato paste and stir together. Cover and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
  3. Unroll your pizza dough and lay it in your prepared baking dish. Push the dough down across the dish and up the sides. Pour the meat mixture from your skillet into the pizza dough. Place in the oven for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle the Mozzarella cheese over the top. Place the casserole back in the oven and cook for 5 additional minutes or until cheese is melted and pizza crust is browned.

Weight Watchers SmartPoints:
9 per serving (SP calculated using the recipe builder on

9 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on

356 calories, 38 g carbs, 10 g sugars, 12 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 27 g protein, 3 g fiber (from

Inspired by my Deep Dish Pizza Casserole, sloppy joe ingredients adapted from Skinnytaste

45 Responses to “Deep Dish Sloppy Joe Casserole”

cindy — October 18, 2013 @ 1:27 am

Your pizza casserole is one of my husband’s favorites..every time I make it, he can’t stop saying how good it is. This version is definitely going on my meal plan soon!

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — October 23rd, 2013 @ 3:17 am

I hope you both love it!

• cindy replied: — November 25th, 2013 @ 3:41 am

I made it tonight, we both loved it, even better than the pizza one!

EvaNadine — October 18, 2013 @ 2:12 am

i have a WONDERFUL sloppy joe recipe that the hubs + i love — might try making it with crescent roll dough thanks to this inspiration!
    and youre not weird at all for liking it bun-less. i love the bowl-of-meat method, or sometimes i will gloop it overtop of a salad. yknow, cause then its healthy. 🙂

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — October 23rd, 2013 @ 3:18 am

Haha, right? Glad to know I’m not the only weirdo 😉

Miranda Perkins — October 18, 2013 @ 3:05 am

Love the first – can’t wait to try this Emily!

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — October 23rd, 2013 @ 3:18 am

Thanks Miranda, I hope you love it!

Anonymous — October 18, 2013 @ 8:03 pm

I made this last night and it was sooo good! Emily – I recently rejoined WW online and your blog has been such a pleasant find! I’ve been referring to it every day. I’ve made your banana chocolate oat singles (twice), your peanut chicken satay, company chicken, and now this sloppy joe dish. All have been excellent! Your website is extremely well-done and easy to navigate. I really appreciate all of the time and effort you put it into it!

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — October 23rd, 2013 @ 3:23 am

Aw, yay! I’m so happy to hear you’ve been using my blog as a resource and that you loved this recipe. Thanks for letting me know! Good luck with WW online – you can do it! 🙂

Anonymous — October 19, 2013 @ 9:31 pm

Do you think this would work with a can of manwhich? I have one left that I’m trying to get rid of.

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — October 23rd, 2013 @ 3:24 am

Probably! I’ve actually never used canned sloppy joe mix before (I know, weird), so I’m note sure how much it makes, but you could definitely adjust if needed.

• Becky M replied: — October 31st, 2013 @ 4:51 pm

I made this with Manwich and it was really good!!!

Anonymous — October 19, 2013 @ 11:33 pm

This is delicious! We had it tonight for dinner & it’s a 3 thumbs up! It will be made again (and again, and again)… I love the way the veggies are minced up in disguise —-

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — October 23rd, 2013 @ 3:24 am

Woohoo, 3 thumbs! Haha. I love hidden veggies too. Glad this was a hit! 🙂

Anonymous — October 22, 2013 @ 12:51 am

This was sooooo tasty! The only changes I made were using a zuchinni instead of the mushrooms (I loathe mushrooms!). Also I didn’t have steak seasoning so I used seasoning salt. Otherwise, it was perfection! My husband didn’t even know there were veggies in it and he LOVED it!

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — October 23rd, 2013 @ 3:25 am

Great idea with the zucchini sub for all you mushroom haters :). So happy to hear you both loved it! Thanks for letting me know 🙂

Anonymous — October 23, 2013 @ 3:37 pm

Made this for dinner on Monday night and it was DELISH! It is definitely a good spin on the deep dish pizza casserole (which is popular in our household). I even had it for left overs last night. 🙂

Anonymous — October 24, 2013 @ 2:07 pm

I made this dish last night and it was yummy, everyone enjoyed it.

Anonymous — October 24, 2013 @ 9:17 pm

I made this last night and it wasn’t a hit. 🙁 The worchestshire sauce gave it a weird tang. I also thought that mushrooms and carrots didn’t really scream Sloppy Joe. I love the concept. Next time I will try it with onions and bell peppers. And minus the worchestshire sauce!!

Elizabeth Jones — October 25, 2013 @ 8:56 pm

This blog is FABULOUS!!! Heading to Wegmans tonight to get some essential ingredients! Going to try this recipe first.

Amber Lea — November 1, 2013 @ 2:35 am

THIS was so good! Thank you! i don’t think i want to go back to regular sloppy joes! 🙂

Ashley — November 2, 2013 @ 9:55 pm

This was really good. I, like you, am not a fan of sloppy joes but my husband looooooooooves them. And when he talks about my cooking and how good it is, it is always followed by, “but she never makes me sloppy joes.” I think its the sloppy meat to bread ratio add in canned sloppy mix, and I have just never been a fan. The husband thought I was joking when I said I was making sloppy joe casserole. Thanks for the inspiration! It was a hit.

lalit pawar — November 18, 2013 @ 10:22 am

wonderful information, I had come to know about your blog from my friend nandu , hyderabad,i have read atleast 7 posts of yours by now, and let me

tell you, your website gives the best and the most interesting information. This is just the kind of information that i had been looking for, i’m

already your rss reader now and i would regularly watch out for the new posts, once again hats off to you! Thanks a ton once again, Regards, Indian Marathi Recipes

KC — December 17, 2013 @ 8:29 pm

I usually choose a recipe to make on Sunday that I can have for dinner throughout the week. My hubby wasn’t crazy about this recipe on paper so I said “Fine, it will be my dinner recipe” Well he smelled it on Sunday and on Monday he came home asking if he could have a piece! Good thing it’s 6 servings and I only need 5 for the week 😉

Megan Rhodes — January 17, 2014 @ 8:30 pm

Tried this last night, delicious! DBF loved it too. We are huge fans of your deep dish pizza. Any suggestions on how to reheat so the dough doesn’t get all wet and soggy? It’s still delish but never as good as fresh out of the oven. I don’t have a toaster oven at work either (that’s my solution if I reheat at home).

Stephanie — January 19, 2014 @ 11:24 pm

This is awesome! Endless possibilities! It was so good I thought I was cheating!

Anonymous — January 20, 2014 @ 1:33 am

I joined WW online a few weeks ago so have been looking for recipes. I found your blog while looking and made this tonight. Both my daughter and I LOVED it. I will definitely be making it many more times! I’ll also be looking through more of your recipes!!! Thanks!

Caitlin — January 21, 2014 @ 1:56 pm

Holy Yum is all I have to say about this dish Emily. I’m so impressed with the tastiness of your recipes! I make a lot of recipes from healthy bloggers and so far no one has has the success rate of the dishes I’ve made from your blog. I find there is a lot of trial and error with healthy cooking…not everything makes the grade in the end, but yours don’t disappoint. This is a new favorite for me. Thanks a million.

Lisa — March 18, 2014 @ 6:03 pm

Made this tonight and it was DEELISH! I don’t eat meat so I always sub Morningstar Farms veggie crumbles for ground beef and the recipe turned out great. My 10 year old son declared it better than going out for dinner. A real winner. THANKS.

• Emily replied: — March 18th, 2014 @ 8:18 pm

Great to know that it was good meatless – thanks for sharing. So glad it was a hit!

Brenda Featherly — June 22, 2014 @ 1:57 am

Made this 2 nights ago & we loved it! So easy & not much mess! Great dish whether you are on Weight Watcher’s or not! I NEVER used the food processor. I used shredded carrots & chopped onions. Left out the mushrooms cuz I don’t care for them & used minced garlic out of the jar. I will definately make this again! Love this site!

Laura Counts — September 10, 2014 @ 5:44 am

Emily, I made this last night, and it was a BIG hit!!! I have one very picky Son, that won’t touch a vegetable and he had two helpings of this. I Love the idea of putting the vegetables in without being noticed. I was thinking a tomato pasta sauce adapted from this recipe would be great. Do you have one, or have an idea on what I might do with the vegetables? Thanks!

Ali — October 26, 2014 @ 8:17 pm

How many servings? 8?

• Emily Bites replied: — October 26th, 2014 @ 8:28 pm

Hi Ali, the servings are listed directly under the recipe title in the recipe section of the post. This recipe makes 6 servings!

Lori — October 30, 2014 @ 4:45 pm

I made this a couple of nights ago. I loved it! It was a BIG hit with my husband too!! This one is a keeper for sure.

• Emily Bites replied: — November 4th, 2014 @ 8:23 am

Glad to hear it was a hit, Lori!

naomi — February 4, 2015 @ 11:13 am

can this be made in a cast iron skillet?

• Emily Bites replied: — February 5th, 2015 @ 2:12 pm

I’ve never tried that but probably as long as it’s a large one – let me know how it works out!

Ginger — March 7, 2015 @ 11:43 am

Can I make this as a freezer meal?

• Emily Bites replied: — March 9th, 2015 @ 2:52 pm

I have never personally frozen it (I almost never freeze things!) so I’m not 100% sure how it will work out. If you try it, please let us know!

Karen — September 23, 2015 @ 2:24 pm

I’ve just signed up on your website, so far, I’m loving the recipes that I’m reading. Can I freeze the Deep Dish Sloppy Joe Casserole and the Pizza one?

Thank you.

Betty — November 22, 2015 @ 9:06 pm

Third recipe I’ve tried from this site and each has been so delicious! Will you be recalculating points (with this new system in December?)

• Emily Bites replied: — November 22nd, 2015 @ 9:14 pm

Hi Betty, when more information becomes available about the new program I will update things as quickly as I can 🙂

Candice — January 1, 2016 @ 11:39 pm

I made this tonight! It was delicious! and hubby approved! (He is super picky, but loves sloppy joes!) Thank you for the recipe!

Aikaterini — March 7, 2016 @ 4:44 pm

I just made it and it smell amazing! It came out 8 sp in my recipe builder although I used 1.25 lb of 96% ground beef. Probably because I didn’t have pizza crust and used reduced fat crescent rolls! LOL And also used TJ’s lite mozzarella! Yum!