Oct 05

Pumpkin Smoothie

It’s pumpkin season! I saw the original version of this Pumpkin Smoothie recipe in Food Network magazine and I was intrigued. I’ve used pumpkin in a lot of ways, sweet and savory, but I’ve never thought of making it into a smoothie. A latte or a milkshake? Sure. But a smoothie? Nope…and mixing it with banana? Interesting. I fooled around with the quantities of ingredients a little bit based on what I had on hand and making it lighter and I think it turned out great. It definitely tasted like a smoothie; fresh, cold, thick, fruity and sweet without being over-the-top, but the pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice gave it a really fun Fall twist. This smoothie is filling and a great way to get some fruit and dairy in at breakfast, lunch or for a snack. Mix a little Autumn into your smoothie this Fall and you won’t regret it!

Pumpkin Smoothie

Yield: 2 (1-1/4 cup) servings

• 1 cup ice
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
  • 1 (5.3 oz) container nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt (I used Dannon Light & Fit)
  • 1 medium banana
  • 1 ½ tablespoons honey
  • ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 2 tablespoons fat free Reddi-wip

1. Place all ingredients except the Reddi-wip into a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into two glasses and add a tablespoon of Reddi-wip to the top of each. Sprinkle with additional pumpkin pie spice if desired.

Weight Watchers SmartPoints:
8 per (1-1/4 cup) serving (SP calculated using the recipe builder on

5 per (1-1/4 cup) serving* (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on

*If you choose not to use the Weight Watchers recipe builder to calculate your smoothie (in which case the banana and pumpkin are free) each serving of the smoothie will be 3 WW PointsPlus.

179 calories, 38 g carbs, 27 g sugars, 1 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 8 g protein, 5 g fiber (from

adapted from Food Network Magazine

10 Responses to “Pumpkin Smoothie”

Andrew — October 5, 2013 @ 7:11 pm

Oh man this looks good. Your choice of glass jar and green striped straw really make this a gorgeous picture.

Mary Beth — October 5, 2013 @ 11:51 pm

I’m going to ask my WW leader at my class next week what her advice is about counting is as 3 WW P+ versus 5. It’s tricky territory, and I appreciate you bringing up the difference. If I find out something useful, I’ll post another comment. This recipe looks great, as do all your recipes! Thank you so much!

Matthew @ Lasik for Your Surgeon — October 6, 2013 @ 8:16 pm

Epic! Can’t wait to try!

Elizabeth — October 7, 2013 @ 2:25 pm

I was just thinking about 5 minutes ago that I need to find a good pumpkin smoothie recipe, since, let’s be honest, pumpkin makes everything better. I think I see lunch right here. 🙂

Anonymous — October 16, 2013 @ 12:03 am

Can you give a substitution for the banana in the recipe?

Anonymous — October 26, 2013 @ 2:21 am

I freeze my pumpkin in ice cube trays so I can make these all winter. I also freeze my over ripe bananas for using in smoothies. Make the nice and thick, like icecream.

Dana Rae's Food Creations — November 18, 2013 @ 3:52 am

I just wondered if you count the fruit in your smoothies Emily, or do you count them as free..? I was wondering what your advice was on this subject.

Anonymous — February 10, 2014 @ 8:26 pm

looks tasty…but smoothies should be healthy…not canned veg with whip cream.

Elizabeth Clevesy — March 4, 2014 @ 12:51 pm

Made this for my smoothie today. I used frozen banana. Why is canned pumpkin not healthy? I did not add the whipped cream.

Holly — July 29, 2014 @ 2:22 pm

I substituted Vanilla Almond Milk for the yogurt because I am dairy free. It did not turn out well. I ended up throwing it out.