Did it snow where you live this week? It did overnight here a few days ago and I woke up and actually had to bust out my ice scraper! I know it’s November and I live in Buffalo and I shouldn’t be shocked, but the cold weather still caught me off guard this week and for the past few days I’ve felt chilly from the inside out. Tonight I feel warm again, despite the outside temperature, and I’m going to give almost all the credit to this warm, filling, delicious soup. These fluffy, soft pink socks I have on get a little credit, but mostly I think it’s the soup.
I like soup a lot, but for me to consider it a meal it needs to be thick and hearty and filling. This Cheeseburger Soup offers real cheeseburger flavor served in a hot, creamy bowl of comfort. It also doesn’t take long to make at all (perfect for weeknights) and the hamburger bun croutons I made with it added a nice crunch and rounded out the authentic cheeseburger flavor. Whatever your weather, warm up from the inside out with this meaty, cheesy, hearty Cheeseburger Soup!
Looking for other hearty soup ideas to get you through the winter? Try Spaghetti & Meatball Soup, Butternut Squash Soup, Chicken Tortilla Soup, White Chicken Chili, Herbed Chicken & Dumplings, Buffalo Chicken Chili or Roasted Tomato Basil Soup.
Yield: 5 (1 cup + croutons) servings
- 1 ½ tablespoons light butter, divided
- 1 hamburger bun with sesame seeds
- A pinch of garlic powder and salt
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ lb of 95% lean ground beef*
- 1 ½ – 2 teaspoons McCormick Hamburger Seasoning
- 1 ½ cups fat free, low sodium beef broth
- 1 (10.75 oz) can of Campbell’s Healthy Request Cheddar Cheese Soup
- ½ cup fat free half and half
- ½ cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup shredded 2% sharp cheddar cheese, divided
*if you replace the ground beef with 99% lean ground turkey, a serving will be 6 SP on WW Freestyle
- Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees. Using kitchen shears, cut the hamburger bun into bite sized cubes (about 25). Melt a tablespoon of the butter and toss the cubes in it until coated. Sprinkle a pinch of garlic powder and another of salt over the bread cubes. Lay the cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 15 minutes until they have a crouton texture. Set aside.
- In a large pot, bring the remaining ½ tablespoon of light butter over medium heat. Add the celery and onions and cook for about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another minute until vegetables are softened. Remove vegetables to a side plate.
- Keep the pot over medium heat and add the ground beef, breaking it up with a spoon or spatula. Sprinkle the meat with the hamburger seasoning and continue cooking until browned.
- Add the vegetables to the meat in the pot along with the broth, cheese soup, half and half, yogurt, and about 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese. Stir the mixture together until well combined and increase the heat to high. Once the mixture starts to bubble, reduce the heat to a simmer (low) and let simmer for 20 minutes. Serve topped with remaining cheese and reserved croutons.
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints:
7 per serving (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
7 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
259 calories, 16 g carbs, 5 g sugars, 10 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 25 g protein, 1 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
adapted from food.com