Chocolate Chip Cookies
Cookies are one of the most difficult things to lighten up. They need butter or else they take on a cakey texture. Now, I don’t have anything against “cakies,” but sometimes you just want a real, authentic cookie: crispy around the edges and soft in the middle with gooey pockets of chocolate scattered throughout. Yum.
My fiancé actually makes the original version of these Chocolate Chip Cookies all the time (though he doubles the recipe and the chocolate chips and still has it make 24 cookies, so his are huge), and since they always turn out delicious I wanted to take a stab at making them a little lighter. I think they turned out great – perfect cookie texture and warm gooey chocolate. This recipe can easily be doubled or halved, so make as many as you need. Chocolate Chip Cookies also hold up well in the freezer so if you worry that you’ll end up gobbling up all 24 at once, freeze some for later!
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yield: 24 cookies
- 6 tablespoons light butter, softened (I use Land O’Lakes)
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar - I used light (vs dark)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 ½ cups white whole wheat flour (I use King Arthur Flour)
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet (or two) with parchment paper (or set aside an ungreased baking sheet).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the butter, brown sugar and white sugar and cream together using an electric mixer until well combined. Add the vanilla, egg white and water and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add the dry mixture to the wet one and stir until fully combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Drop 24 rounded tablespoons onto the reserved baking sheets (12 cookies per standard baking sheet, so either use two or make two batches) and bake for 8-12 minutes. When cookies are done, transfer to a cooling rack.
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
2 per cookie (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
83 calories, 13 g carbs, 9 g sugars, 3 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 1 g protein, 1 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
adapted from allrecipes