Jan 07

Enchilada Cheese Rolls

Since my Pizza Logs were a huge hit, I thought it would be fun to apply the same concept to another one of my favorite foods, enchiladas. These fun rolls of saucy, cheesy, beany goodness are incredibly fast and easy to throw together and they make a filling snack, main course or appetizer. You can make as many or as few as you’d like – the recipe is super easy to halve or even quadruple if needed. You can even customize the flavor! Like a little kick? Use spicy enchilada sauce or toss in some diced green chilies.

These rolls are perfectly satisfying comfort food all on their own, but feel free to experiment with different dipping sauces: guacamole (pictured – Wholly Guacamole spicy variety), salsa, queso, additional enchilada sauce, sour cream. There are tons of possibilities!

After my first batch I did an experiment. For the rolls on the right I specifically pressed the edges together on the sides to seal them before baking. For the ones on the left with all the cheese leaking out, the only thing I did differently was I didn’t press the edges together (which you can see is where the cheese leaked out). Important step!

Enchilada Cheese Rolls

Yield: 8 rolls

• ½ cup fat free refried beans
  • 8 egg roll wrappers (larger than wonton wrappers – often found in the produce section)
  • 8 teaspoons enchilada sauce
  • 4 light Cheddar cheese sticks (like cheddar versions of string cheese), each cut in half to make two shorter sticks (such as Weight Watchers brand – recommended!)

1. Preheat the oven to 400. Lightly mist a large baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
  2. Place the beans in a dish and microwave on high for 30-60 seconds until soft and warm.
  3. Pour some water into a small dish and set aside. On a flat surface, place an egg roll wrapper, corner facing toward you (like a diamond) and spread half a teaspoon of enchilada sauce horizontally across the center of the wrapper, leaving ½ inch or so of space on each side. Place half a cheese stick on top of the sauce and top that with a tablespoon of refried beans and another ½ teaspoon of enchilada sauce. Fold the bottom corner closest to you up over the ingredients and press. Fold the side corners in and tuck them as you give the filled section a 90 degree roll. Dip your finger in the dish or reserved water and lightly wet the edges of the remaining top corner of the wrapper. Finish rolling the filled pizza log over the wet corner so that it adheres. Dip your finger in the water once again and run it along the sealed edge to adhere. Make sure you press any open edges on the sides closed (see photo comparison below) to avoid leaks. Place wrapped enchilada roll onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
  4. When all of the enchilada rolls are wrapped and on the baking sheets, mist the tops with cooking spray. Bake for 10-12 minutes, flipping once halfway through, until the wrappers are golden. Do not overcook.

2 per roll (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

105 calories, 14 g carbs, 2 g fat, 7 g protein, 1 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)

An Emily Bites Original

16 Responses to “Enchilada Cheese Rolls”

Cricket-bug Corner — January 8, 2014 @ 3:07 am

Looks delicious! I will have to try them!

Stevie C — January 8, 2014 @ 4:06 am

Not a fan of beans… could I sub anything? Maybe some ground turkey or chicken, for the same points?

Anonymous — January 8, 2014 @ 8:34 pm

OMG – I am going to the grocery store right now. The pizza logs were awesome; these will be even better!

Susan B — January 9, 2014 @ 5:26 am

do you know how well these would freeze If I made some up I am the only one that would be eating them.

RecipeGirl — January 10, 2014 @ 3:05 pm

Whoa. I love these. You come up with the best, light recipes!!!

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — January 11th, 2014 @ 6:27 pm

Aw, thanks Lori! <3 You’re the best.

KatieL — January 10, 2014 @ 9:13 pm

Susan B: I have frozen the original pizza logs with success.

Deb S — January 14, 2014 @ 12:57 pm

These are soooo good. My entire family loved them. Sealing the edges as I folded the wrappers up helped keep the cheese inside. Will DEFINITELY be making these again.

Stephanie — January 14, 2014 @ 10:20 pm

I made these tonight but I use Morning star meatless crumbles, and Nasoya eggroll wraps since I am a vegetarian and for less calories, everyone really enjoyed them. Thank you for all the wonderful recipes!!

Stephanie P. — January 17, 2014 @ 3:13 am

I made these tonight and they were SO good!! I sealed all the edges and still ended up with cheese and beans oozing out…..oh well! The upside to that was that the cheese got all crusty and yummy on the cookie sheet-YUM!! Thanks for the recipe Emily! :)

Heidi Stephens — January 21, 2014 @ 10:02 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

Michael — January 27, 2014 @ 5:22 pm

I’m looking for easy snacks to bring to a superbowl party. Obviously i want them to be WW friendly so I know I don’t have to worry and these look perfect!

Michelle Wake Kyle James — February 2, 2014 @ 11:16 pm

Made a version of these for Super Bowl pre-party today. Did mine with shredded chicken coated in peanut sauce, pre-cut broccoli slaw, some thinly sliced peppers, cilantro— TOTALLY YUMMY!!

Qadir Kalhoro — February 10, 2014 @ 8:39 pm

Thank you for sharing superb information. Your site is very cool. I’m impressed by the details that you have on this website. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for extra articles. You, my friend, ROCK! I found just the info I already searched everywhere and just couldn’t come across. What a great web site.

1. Pingback: Monday Favorites | Otherwise Simple