Feb 01

The Best Turkey Chili

This is my absolute favorite turkey chili recipe – I’m so excited for you all to try it! It’s hearty and meaty with tons of flavor and the perfect amount of kick. The addition of zucchini might get a side eye from chili purists, but trust me, it tastes great in this recipe. You’re going to love it.

My mom got this recipe from her good friend Beth who makes it every year for a get together they have around the holidays. It’s always a huge hit, so my mom made it for us a month or so ago when I was over for dinner and I basically swooned. You can make it using leaner ground turkey (like 99% lean breast meat), but it didn’t save any Weight Watchers points per serving and I felt like the 93-94% lean turkey gave it even more amazing flavor.

This chili is so tasty and filling that you won’t believe a serving is only 6 WW points+ or 278 calories. It also takes minimal prep, freezes great, and tastes just as good (maybe even better) as leftovers the next day. Get ready to make your new favorite chili!

The Best Turkey Chili

Yield: 12 (1-1/4 cup) servings

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 cups diced onions (about 3 medium onions)
  • 1 medium zucchini, diced
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 pounds 93% lean ground turkey
  • 2 (28 oz) cans diced tomatoes
  • 1 (14 oz) can Italian stewed whole tomatoes, roughly chopped
  • 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
  • 2 (15 oz) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (could also use kidney beans)
  • 5 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro

1. Bring oil over medium heat in a large soup pot. Add the onion, zucchini and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes until softened. Add the ground turkey and continue to cook for another 6-7 minutes, stirring to cook evenly and breaking up the meat until the meat is cooked through.
  2. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, salt and cilantro and stir to combine. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for about an hour to thicken.

6 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

278 calories, 28 g carbs, 8 g fat, 21 g protein, 7 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)

Source: My mom’s awesome friend Beth

12 Responses to “The Best Turkey Chili”

BlairKreiger — February 1, 2014 @ 10:20 pm

Yummy looking! Can’t wait to try this! :)

JaneP — February 2, 2014 @ 4:24 am

Sounds very good. I will save this recipe to try it soon!

Anne — February 2, 2014 @ 8:46 pm

Dumb question… is it 28 ounces total (so 2 14 oz cans) or is it 2 28 oz cans of diced tomatoes?

Thanks!

• Anne replied: — February 2nd, 2014 @ 11:47 pm

Thank you! As soon as I added in the 2 lbs of Turkey I quickly realized it was the 28 oz cans. :) I was at the store with my small ones who were INSANE, so my ability to process info was gone!

RandomLove — February 3, 2014 @ 6:32 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

Loving Hearts Foundation — February 3, 2014 @ 6:40 am

Thanks for posting another great recipe :) Emily! I have tried sveral of your recipes and the family LOVES them even my pickiest eater always says when are you going to make more of Emilys great recipes he will come to the website and pick out the ones he wants me to make

Redheadmb — February 4, 2014 @ 5:10 am

This was my first time ever making chili!! Oh my gosh! Delicious, simple, filling, a family hit! Another home run recipe! Thanks a million for all your hard work. This will be served over and over again at my table.

Marjorie — February 6, 2014 @ 11:51 pm

I am so excited to find your blog via Instagram! Adding you to my feedly.

Healthy Guy — February 10, 2014 @ 7:59 am

Looks delicious!

Anonymous — February 14, 2014 @ 1:02 am

I made this tonight in the midst of this winter storm! It was absolutely delicious and very filling at 6 pp! I have made several WW friendly chilis and this is in the top two! I enjoyed the zucchini in there! And with the two lbs of chili it is obviously thicker than other chili I have made! A+ and I am keeping this as a go-to chili recipe from now on! Can’t wait for leftovers! :) And there are PLENTY.

Janae — March 23, 2014 @ 7:56 pm

Just made this and it was delicious! Very flavorful!