Feb 01

The Best Turkey Chili

The Best Turkey Chili

This is the best turkey chili recipe – I’m so excited for you all to try it! It’s hearty and meaty with tons of flavor and the perfect amount of kick. The addition of zucchini might get a side eye from chili purists, but trust me, it tastes great in this recipe. You’re going to love it.

My mom got this recipe from her good friend Beth who makes it every year for a get together they have around the holidays. It’s always a huge hit, so my mom made it for us a month or so ago when I was over for dinner and I basically swooned. You can make it using leaner ground turkey (like 99% lean breast meat), but it didn’t save any Weight Watchers points per serving and I felt like the 93-94% lean turkey gave it even more amazing flavor.

This chili is so tasty and filling that you won’t believe a serving is only 6 Weight Watchers SmartPoints or 278 calories. It also takes minimal prep, freezes great, and tastes just as good (maybe even better) as leftovers the next day. Get ready to make your new favorite chili!

The Best Turkey Chili

The Best Turkey Chili

Yield: 12 (1-1/4 cup) servings

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 cups diced onions (about 3 medium onions)
  • 1 medium zucchini, diced
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 pounds 93% lean ground turkey
  • 2 (28 oz) cans diced tomatoes
  • 1 (14 oz) can Italian stewed whole tomatoes, roughly chopped
  • 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
  • 2 (15 oz) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (could also use kidney beans)
  • 5 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro

1. Bring oil over medium heat in a large soup pot. Add the onion, zucchini and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes until softened. Add the ground turkey and continue to cook for another 6-7 minutes, stirring to cook evenly and breaking up the meat until the meat is cooked through.
  2. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, salt and cilantro and stir to combine. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for about an hour to thicken.

Weight Watchers SmartPoints:
6 per serving (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

6 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

278 calories, 28 g carbs, 9 g sugars, 8 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 21 g protein, 7 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)

Source: My mom’s awesome friend Beth

Yum

23 Responses to “The Best Turkey Chili”

BlairKreiger — February 1, 2014 @ 10:20 pm

Yummy looking! Can’t wait to try this! :)

JaneP — February 2, 2014 @ 4:24 am

Sounds very good. I will save this recipe to try it soon!

Anne — February 2, 2014 @ 8:46 pm

Dumb question… is it 28 ounces total (so 2 14 oz cans) or is it 2 28 oz cans of diced tomatoes?

Thanks!

• Anne replied: — February 2nd, 2014 @ 11:47 pm

Thank you! As soon as I added in the 2 lbs of Turkey I quickly realized it was the 28 oz cans. :) I was at the store with my small ones who were INSANE, so my ability to process info was gone!

RandomLove — February 3, 2014 @ 6:32 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

Loving Hearts Foundation — February 3, 2014 @ 6:40 am

Thanks for posting another great recipe :) Emily! I have tried sveral of your recipes and the family LOVES them even my pickiest eater always says when are you going to make more of Emilys great recipes he will come to the website and pick out the ones he wants me to make

Redheadmb — February 4, 2014 @ 5:10 am

This was my first time ever making chili!! Oh my gosh! Delicious, simple, filling, a family hit! Another home run recipe! Thanks a million for all your hard work. This will be served over and over again at my table.

Marjorie — February 6, 2014 @ 11:51 pm

I am so excited to find your blog via Instagram! Adding you to my feedly.

Healthy Guy — February 10, 2014 @ 7:59 am

Looks delicious!

Anonymous — February 14, 2014 @ 1:02 am

I made this tonight in the midst of this winter storm! It was absolutely delicious and very filling at 6 pp! I have made several WW friendly chilis and this is in the top two! I enjoyed the zucchini in there! And with the two lbs of chili it is obviously thicker than other chili I have made! A+ and I am keeping this as a go-to chili recipe from now on! Can’t wait for leftovers! :) And there are PLENTY.

Janae — March 23, 2014 @ 7:56 pm

Just made this and it was delicious! Very flavorful!

Christene — October 8, 2014 @ 11:55 am

This is my new go to chilli recipe – I’m pretty sure I’ve made it 50 times already. Thanks Emily!

• Emily Bites replied: — October 9th, 2014 @ 7:51 pm

I’m so happy you love it so much!! Thanks for letting me know :)

Maureen Kucinskas — January 28, 2015 @ 3:00 pm

Looks super yummy! Can’t wait to make this for Super Bowl!

Carol+Munka — February 3, 2015 @ 11:02 am

This chili is so bright and beautiful. It’s not heavy like some chilis. This has become my favorite of all chilis!

• Emily Bites replied: — February 5th, 2015 @ 2:17 pm

I’m so glad to hear that! I feel the same way :)

Cat R — September 19, 2015 @ 12:52 pm

Thanks for the recipe! Do you have any recommendations for a cilantro substitute? TIA.

• Emily Bites replied: — September 21st, 2015 @ 11:06 am

You can certainly just omit it or just add in an herb you do like (maybe parsley? I have only ever made it with cilantro so I can’t make any guarantees about the flavor using another herb :)). I hope you like it!

Monique — December 24, 2015 @ 2:56 am

About the SP, I’m confused as to how you came to 6 points.
    Using your nutritional values and using WW calculator, it came to 8 points
    when I inputted the ingredients it then came to 7 points, how did you get to 6 points? This new system is such a drag, we’re so used to the PP system and now have to relearn all over again and not everyone has the updated info, so I’m now in a habit to check everything, very time consuming :(

• Emily Bites replied: — December 27th, 2015 @ 9:20 pm

Hi Monique, it’s no longer really accurate to use the nutrition information to calculate SPs for recipes since the recipe builder no longer counts that nutrition values for “free” foods. I got that value using the Weight Watchers recipe builder. As with any recipe, if you use any different brand or ingredient the points value can change, so feel free to use whatever you came up with on your own. Mine was 6! Hope you enjoy the chili :)

Kerri — January 6, 2016 @ 7:43 pm

Have you ever made this in a crock pot and if so, what did you different than the above?

Can’t wait to try this recipe!

• Emily Bites replied: — January 9th, 2016 @ 11:49 pm

I never have! If you try it let me know how it turns out :)