California Club Sandwich
Oh my goodness. I don’t post sandwiches very often because it often doesn’t feel like a “recipe” to me, but this California Club Sandwich made me change my mind. This recipe is hands down one of the best sandwiches I’ve ever eaten. I want to eat it every day. My humblest apologies, sandwiches, y’all can make pretty darn outstanding recipes and I will try not to neglect you so moving forward.
When I was trying to decide what I wanted to make today, nothing sound quite right. Eventually the concept of a BLT evolved into a California BLT (just add avocado) and that turned into a California Club (also add deli meat) until I knew I’d hit on my mental craving jackpot. Since avocado lends kind of a freshness already, I thought it would be fun to run with that and add a few other fresh flavored mix-ins to some low fat mayo and settled on lemon and basil.
I can’t gush about this sandwich enough. Golden toasty bread, juicy tomato, rich, buttery avocado, salty, smoky bacon, creamy, bright lemon-basil mayonnaise, sliced deli meat and a couple pieces of fresh green lettuce; it’s an explosion of flavors and they all come together perfectly. This tastes like a sandwich you’d order in a restaurant, but it comes together really quickly in the privacy of your own home for only 9 Weight Watchers SmartPoints and only 287 calories! If you cook the bacon and stir together the mayo ahead of time this is even a convenient recipe for you to assemble at lunch time, even on work days. This hearty sandwich will keep you feeling full for hours and put a smile on your face. That’s a sandwich I can count as a recipe.
California Club Sandwich
Yield: 4 sandwiches
- 8 slices center cut bacon (I used Wegmans regular slice center cut)
- ¼ cup low fat mayonnaise (I used Hellman’s Low-Fat)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil leaves
- ¼ teaspoon lemon juice
- 8 slices light wheat bread (I used Pepperidge Farm Light Style Soft Wheat)
- 8 oz sliced deli turkey or deli chicken (I used Hillshire Farms Oven Roasted Deli Chicken)
- 1 medium avocado, cut into quarters (one quarter for each sandwich) and sliced
- 4-8 lettuce leaves
- 4 slices tomato
- Cook the bacon slices according to package instructions and allow to dry on paper towels.
- In a small dish, combine the mayo, basil and lemon juice and stir until well combined and set aside.
- Toast the bread slices in a toaster until golden. Take two toasted slices and lay them side by side. Spread 1 tablespoon of the basil mayo onto one of the slices. Place 2 oz of the deli turkey or chicken over the mayo and spread avocado slices from ¼ of an avocado over the meat. On the other slice of bread, stack 1-2 pieces of lettuce and one slice of tomato. Criss cross two slices of the cooked bacon over the tomato. Flip the BLT side over onto the turkey side to form a sandwich. Repeat with the three remaining sandwiches. Cut in half and serve (you may want to stick a sandwich pick into each half before slicing to keep the ingredients perfectly stacked).
Weight Watchers SmartPoints:
9 per sandwich (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
8 per sandwich (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
287 calories, 26 g carbs, 4 g sugars, 15 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 20 g protein, 7 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
An Emily Bites Original.