Oct 04

Sausage Tortellini Skillet

Sausage Tortellini Skillet

Oh, yum. This hearty, tasty, Sausage Tortellini Skillet is sure to be a crowd pleaser. It comes together easily and only uses one pan (hooray for less dishes!), plus it’s filling, comforting, and incorporates veggies in a way that vegetable loves and haters alike will love. Saucy and cheesy with spicy Italian sausage, pillowy cheese tortellini and yummy zucchini and mushrooms? Sign me up!

Sausage Tortellini Skillet

This recipe is also easy to adapt a bit to taste. Don’t like mushrooms or not a zucchini fan? No worries! Feel free to sub in veggies you prefer (chopped eggplant, bell peppers, whatever you like!). The recipe makes a little over 11 cups, so each serving is a bit more than a cup. I found it to be a very filling main dish for just under 300 calories and I’m sure you will too!

Sausage Tortellini Skillet

Sausage Tortellini Skillet

Yield: Yields 10 (1 cup) servings

• 1 lb hot Italian turkey or poultry sausage, casings removed
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 8 oz sliced white mushrooms
  • 8 oz chopped zucchini
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 15 oz can tomato sauce
  • 15 oz can diced tomatoes
  • ¼ cup tomato paste
  • 2 tablespoons sliced fresh basil
  • 1 ½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 ½ oz Parmesan cheese, freshly shredded (I did mine on the smallest holed side of a box grater)
  • 20 oz refrigerated cheese tortellini
  • 1 cup shredded 2% Mozzarella cheese

1. Place the sausage in a large skillet or saute pan over medium heat and cook for a few minutes, breaking apart with a wooden spoon until it starts to brown a bit. Once the meat starts to break apart, add the onion, mushroom, zucchini and garlic and stir together. Continue to cook for about 8 more minutes while breaking up meat and stirring regularly until sausage is cooked through and vegetables are softened.
  2. Add the tomato sauce, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, Italian seasoning, salt, Parmesan and tortellini and stir until well combined. Cover the pan with a lid and bring heat up until you can see the sauce bubble. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 8 minutes until tortellini is cooked.
  3. Turn off the burner, remove the lid and sprinkle the Mozzarella over the top of the skillet. Place the lid back on the pan and leave it on the warm burner for about 2 minutes until the cheese is melted. Remove the lid and serve.

Weight Watchers SmartPoints:
9 per (1 generous cup) serving (SP calculated using the recipe builder on

8 per (1 generous cup) serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on

299 calories, 35 g carbs, 5 g sugars, 8 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 22 g protein, 4 g fiber (from

Inspired by Yellow Bliss Road

Sausage Tortellini Skillet

69 Responses to “Sausage Tortellini Skillet”

Alison Harper — October 5, 2014 @ 8:57 am

This looks delicious! I can’t wait to try it!!

• Emily Bites replied: — October 9th, 2014 @ 8:01 pm

Hope you love it!

Suzanne — October 5, 2014 @ 9:13 pm

I made this for dinner. It is delicious!

• Emily Bites replied: — October 9th, 2014 @ 7:58 pm

Glad you liked it!

Gail — October 6, 2014 @ 10:28 am

Looks yummy! I think it should freeze well too–right?

• Emily Bites replied: — October 9th, 2014 @ 7:57 pm

I didn’t try it but I’d definitely expect it to freeze well!

Khrys — October 6, 2014 @ 12:02 pm

It’s not often that I see a recipe in my inbox and decide to make it that same day.

It’s also not often that I follow an recipe EXACTLY. (I like to tweak)

But yesterday was the day. This was AMAZING.

• Emily Bites replied: — October 9th, 2014 @ 7:56 pm

Woohoo, I’m so happy you loved it!! 🙂

Nicole E — October 7, 2014 @ 9:35 pm

I made this tonight and it is delicious! I love your recipes and your website. Thank you for all that you do!

• Emily Bites replied: — October 9th, 2014 @ 7:52 pm

Thanks Nicole! I’m thrilled you liked it 🙂

Jessica — October 8, 2014 @ 11:07 am

This looks totally delicious! What could I sub in for sausage (I don’t like the seasonings in sausage)- ground beef/turkey possibly?

• Emily Bites replied: — October 9th, 2014 @ 7:51 pm

Sure, you could definitely sub in ground beef or turkey 🙂

Lindsay — October 9, 2014 @ 1:55 pm

I made this last night and it is AMAZING!! Thank you Emily!!

• Emily Bites replied: — October 9th, 2014 @ 7:49 pm

Woohoo, happy to hear it was a hit! Thanks for letting me know 🙂

Lisa — October 9, 2014 @ 6:28 pm

Made this tonight and it was very good! Hubby keeps raving about how good it was. Thanks, Emily!!

• Emily Bites replied: — October 9th, 2014 @ 7:49 pm

Glad it was a hit!

Crystal — October 9, 2014 @ 8:33 pm

I love that you add the WW P+ values makes it sooo easy to eat great healthy food and LOSE weight. Looks like another hit

• Emily Bites replied: — October 14th, 2014 @ 9:14 pm

Thanks Crystal!

Elyse — October 10, 2014 @ 7:57 am

Hello, I am making this recipe tonight. I purchased italian chicken sausage and it says “casings removed”: If you remove the casings before you slice the sausage wouldnt it kind of be like mush and you wont be able to slice it? Please reply ASAP to my email because I am making it tonight. My email is

• Emily Bites replied: — October 14th, 2014 @ 9:14 pm

Hi Elyse, the sausage is not sliced. One you remove the casings you treat the sausage the way you would any ground meat!

Brie — October 12, 2014 @ 10:31 am

I made this last night and it was absolutely terrific! My husband could not stop talking about how yummy it was. Comfort food at its finest 🙂

• Emily Bites replied: — October 14th, 2014 @ 9:13 pm

Woohoo, husband approved! I’m glad you both loved it 🙂

Lisa — October 12, 2014 @ 5:22 pm

This was delicious. I used a sweet Italian turkey sausage b/c that was all my grocery store had! And I made it as a casserole (just stuck in the oven a few minutes to melt the cheese) as it’s easier for me to separate into servings that way. Just amazing. Delicious taste and easy – will make again.

• Emily Bites replied: — October 14th, 2014 @ 9:12 pm

Yum, so glad you liked it!!

Molly — October 13, 2014 @ 8:11 pm

This was delicious! Thanks so much for all the great recipes. It makes dinner interesting!

• Emily Bites replied: — October 14th, 2014 @ 9:12 pm

Lisa — October 14, 2014 @ 8:31 am

This was really great! I loved it and I like that it makes a lot of servings — less cooking for me! Also, one pot meals are genius. And it was delicious. This is definitely going into my regular rotation. Thank you for making it easy to stick to my diet!

• Emily Bites replied: — October 14th, 2014 @ 9:11 pm

Yay! Happy to hear it was a hit 🙂

Gail — October 14, 2014 @ 10:22 am

I made this for dinner last night and it was delicious. Very filling and so easy to make.

• Emily Bites replied: — October 14th, 2014 @ 9:09 pm

So glad you loved it!

CaryAnn — October 14, 2014 @ 3:31 pm

I came for a different recipe but was delighted to fine the Sausage Tortellini Skillet. I had just bought some tortellini but didn’t want to make the same old thing I usually make with it. This will be my Wednesday night dinner since I had already started prepping for tonight’s dinner. Thank you for giving the WW points also. My dear hubby, who is a very picky eater, loves the recipes I use form your site.

• Emily Bites replied: — October 14th, 2014 @ 9:09 pm

I hope you love it! 🙂

Katey — October 15, 2014 @ 8:39 am

I made this last night and it was a huge success! My husband who does not like “diet” food, loved this and went back for 2nds and 3rds. This will definitely be on the repeat list!

• Emily Bites replied: — November 4th, 2014 @ 8:50 am

Woohoo! no “diet” food around these parts ;). I love hearing that it was picky husband-approved!

Lisa — October 16, 2014 @ 4:30 pm

I made this last week and the family is already requesting it again! It’s what’s for dinner tonight. 🙂

• Emily Bites replied: — November 4th, 2014 @ 8:49 am

So glad you loved it! 🙂

Lainey — October 20, 2014 @ 12:33 pm

Tried this lastnight and am eating some leftovers for lunch! So delicious! My boss just had food envy even! Thank you Emily!

Rachel — October 23, 2014 @ 5:44 pm

We made this last week! BF (well, BF when we made it…fiance as of last Saturday!!!) doesn’t like mushrooms so we used green pepper instead. The store was out of refrigerated tortellini so we used frozen and simmered uncovered. OMG SO GOOD. This is definitely going into our regular rotation. Thank you Emily!

• Emily Bites replied: — November 4th, 2014 @ 8:39 am

Congrats on your engagement!! I’m glad you both loved it 🙂

Paige — October 24, 2014 @ 4:45 pm

just wondering what kind of tortelli you used for your recipe so I can make
    Sure the ppv don’t change

• Emily Bites replied: — November 4th, 2014 @ 8:38 am

I *think* I used Wegmans store brand

Christine — October 28, 2014 @ 11:46 am

You’ve done it again!! Made this recipe over the weekend and it was a complete success!!! There was SO much flavor, super filling and so easy! The BF and I finished off the leftovers last night and was so sad to see it go lol!!! Will definitely make this again…. right after I make your chicken cordon bleu casserole *one of my faves!!!!* LOL!!!! Thanks Emily for all you do! 🙂

• Emily Bites replied: — November 4th, 2014 @ 8:32 am

Haha, that’s always how I know I love a recipe – when I am sad the leftovers are gone! Thanks so much for all the love and for letting me know this was a hit! You rock 🙂

Sandra F — October 29, 2014 @ 9:44 pm

This was super delicious! I felt like was cheating ! My daughter and husband both loved it ad well!!! Thank you!

• Emily Bites replied: — November 4th, 2014 @ 8:24 am

Thanks so much for letting me know, I’m so happy the whole fam loved it!

Rachel — November 2, 2014 @ 8:42 pm

Hey Emily – I noticed at the top the recipe says it yields 10 (1 cup) servings, but at the bottom it says 8 (1 generous cup) servings.

• Emily Bites replied: — November 2nd, 2014 @ 8:48 pm

Hi Rachel! It makes 10 servings and the part at the bottom is saying it is 8 weight watchers points per serving. Sorry if it seemed confusing!

Cassie — November 3, 2014 @ 1:08 pm

Made this for dinner last night and it is so delicious. My husband and 4 year old went back for seconds and thirds. It was hard for me to stop at one serving! I used sweet Italian turkey sausage instead because of my kids and was still so yummy! Thank you for a recipe that will be made often!!!

• Emily Bites replied: — November 4th, 2014 @ 8:20 am

Yay, I’m so thrilled it was such a big hit! Thanks for letting me know 🙂

Jaime — November 9, 2014 @ 3:19 pm

All I can say is…Oh. My. God. This was seriously delicious…which I find myself saying every time I make an “Emily” recipe (as they are referred to in my house). Your recipes make my Weight Watchers journey downright easy…and enjoyable! My BF actively volunteers to be my guinea pig when he knows I’m trying a new recipe!

• Emily Bites replied: — November 10th, 2014 @ 10:44 am

Aw, thank you!! I’m so happy you and your boyfriend are both loving the recipes, thanks for letting me know!

Tammy — November 14, 2014 @ 6:30 pm

I made this tonight with a slightly mex flair. I forgot the to get the diced tomatoes at the store and I all I had with any tomato chunks was salsa, so I added a cup of mild salsa. It still tasted very much Italian with all the seasonings. Hubby loved it and was already talking about leftovers for lunch tomorrow and the next day and he never does that. I can’t wait to try it as written. Thanks Emily!

Rebecca — December 16, 2014 @ 6:00 pm

Hi Emily, this came out kinda salty for me . I used buttoni tortellini and omitted the mushrooms and zucchini. Do you think any of these factors led to the saltiness?

• Emily Bites replied: — December 16th, 2014 @ 8:52 pm

Hm, I am not sure about the sodium for that particular tortellini, so it’s possible, but I doubt omitting the vegetables would have contributed. I’m sorry to hear you thought it was salty, I didn’t find that! :/

Emily — January 4, 2015 @ 10:13 pm

Just made this for dinner and it was FANTASTIC! I used some diced fennel in place of the mushrooms, which added to the Italian flavors of the sausage and the spices. Can’t wait to have the leftovers, and will definitely be making this again!

• Emily Bites replied: — January 5th, 2015 @ 9:32 am

I’m so happy you loved it!

Kelly — January 12, 2015 @ 9:29 am

This was amazing!!! My best friend and I kept “taste-testing” while it was cooking and we couldn’t stop gushing how awesome the flavor was!! Even my super picky 9 year old daughter loved it! The sauce is so delicious it will now be my go-to pasta sauce recipe 🙂 Thank you for another amazing, healthy recipe that I can feel good about serving my family!!

Linda — January 12, 2015 @ 7:30 pm

This is amazing! I made it for dinner tonight, and husband and son both really enjoyed it. Very easy and fast to make as well as WW friendly! You rock!

Kelly — January 13, 2015 @ 12:25 pm

This is so amazing!! Even my super picky 9 year old daughter loved it! My best friend and I couldn’t stop “taste-testing” while it was cooking…it was so dang delicious!! Thank you for making healthy eating enjoyable. Your recipes are the best!!!

Linda — January 29, 2015 @ 3:18 pm

An earlier comment asked if this would freeze well – it did! I froze individual servings and I thawed one out last night. It still tasted great.

Chellsee — March 9, 2015 @ 4:34 pm

Where can I pick up hot Italian turkey sausage?

Shelley — March 30, 2015 @ 5:54 pm

This was absolutely delicious! The only change I made was that I omitted the mushrooms, since my family doesn’t like them. Thank you for a great dinner tonight!

Mahannah — April 13, 2015 @ 9:11 pm

Made this for the first time tonight. As suggested, I used eggplant instead of mushrooms and only had dried basil. It was delishous! Definitely a keeper!

Stephanie — April 27, 2015 @ 8:31 pm

I am new to your site and this was the first recipe I have tried. It was delicious! I followed the recipe exactly. Hearty and comforting and great for WW. Thanks for a great recipe…looking forward to trying more of your recipes.

Lisa — April 28, 2015 @ 11:08 am

This was delicious Emily! Thank you so much for sharing so many delicious yet healthy recipes. I made a couple minor tweaks for personal preference- I bought mixed mushrooms, zucchini, and red pepper to bulk it up. I also didn’t add the cheese until I divided all the portions that way I don’t have one serving filled with cheesey goodness!

Thanks again!

Sarah@hislittlewife — July 8, 2015 @ 12:06 am

This was delicious! I was even able to convince my husband to let me use it as a substitute for our typical family pizza night meal and he may have had four servings, exclaiming each time, “This is so good!” All three of my little ones had seconds as well, even eating the mushrooms which is a rare feat at my house! Thanks for a great recipe!

Karen — December 21, 2015 @ 12:12 am

This look so delicious, I couldn’t believe the Smart Points calculation was correct! So, I tabulated it on the new WW website for Smart Point and it came out as 10 Smart Points per serving. Never-the-less, I would still make this and enjoy it for 10 points. Looks yummy!

• Emily Bites replied: — December 21st, 2015 @ 2:08 am

Hi Karen,
      Because of the fact that the new WW recipe builder does not account for the nutrition facts/points of “free” fruits and vegetables in recipes (a change from the way it was done with PointsPlus), there will be many instances in which the nutrition info plugged into the SP calculator will not match the SP value determined by the recipe builder. I provide the nutrition information for my readers who do not use the Weight Watchers program, but if you’re following SmartPoints then I would recommend using the recipe builder to determine the points for your recipes. Of course, in every recipe if you use different brands or ingredients than I did we may come up with different points values, the SP values listed here are what I came up with using the recipe builder on the Weight Watchers website. Hope that helps!

Kimberly — March 7, 2016 @ 7:30 pm

I’m making this for the second time tonight after I ate the last batch for several days and dreamt about it after I finished. Very good!!!