Apr 16

Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Quiche

Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Quiche

If you’re searching for an easy way to make your breakfast or brunch feel extra special without a lot of work, this Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Quiche will do the trick (a great idea if you’re already looking ahead to Mother’s Day)! With a thick hash brown crust filled with eggs, sharp cheddar cheese, ham and scallions, this quiche tastes amazing, makes for a filling breakfast and weighs in at just 183 calories or 6 Weight Watchers SmartPoints per serving. I suggest serving it with some fresh seasonal fruit for a meal that comes together easily and is sure to please the whole household.

Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Quiche

Another great thing about this quiche is that is easily customizable to suit your tastes. I love the ham and cheddar, but it’s easy to keep the hash brown crust and egg mix and change up the cheese (Pepper Jack, Feta, Swiss), the meat (bacon, Sausage) or ditch the meat all together and throw in some veggies (sundried tomatoes, broccoli, spinach, mushrooms, etc). You can do whatever you like!

Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Quiche

For more breakfast recipes, like my Sausage and Stuffing Bake, Blueberry Baked Oatmeal Singles, Silver Dollar Banana Pancakes or Carrot Cake Doughnuts, check out the Breakfast Recipe category or my recipe index.

Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Quiche

Yield: 8 servings

• 20 oz bag of refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes (such as Simply Potatoes or Reser’s)
  • 4 tablespoons light butter, melted (I use Land O’Lakes)
  • 1 teaspoon salt, divided
  • ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
  • 4 large eggs
  • ½ cup fat free milk
  • 4 oz (about 1 cup shredded) 50% reduced fat sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (I used Cabot)
  • 5 oz diced deli ham (I used Hillshire Farm Deli Select Ultra Thin Brown Sugar Ham)
  • 1 scallion diced

1. Pre-heat the oven to 400. Lightly mist a 9” pie plate with cooking spray and set aside.
  2. Place the shredded potatoes in a large mixing bowl and drizzle with the melted butter. Add ½ teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper and stir together until ingredients are well mixed. Transfer the potatoes to the pie plate and press them down across the surface of the dish and up the sides to form a “crust.” Place the dish in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
  3. While the potatoes are baking, combine the eggs and milk in a mixing bowl and whisk together until well combined. Add the shredded cheese, ham, scallions and the remaining ½ teaspoon of salt and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper and stir together until thoroughly mixed.
  4. When the crust is done, remove from the oven and pour the egg mixture into the crust, spreading the ingredients across but leaving a raised edge of crust all around the outside. Reduce the oven heat to 350 and return the pie plate to the oven for an additional 30 minutes until eggs are set and the hash brown edges are browned.

Weight Watchers SmartPoints:
6 per serving (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

5 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

183 calories, 16 g carbs, 1 g sugars, 8 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 11 g protein, 2 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)

adapted from Very Culinary

Yum

51 Responses to “Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Quiche”

Lisa — April 16, 2015 @ 3:41 pm

This seriously just made me hungry. Such a great idea! Thank you.

• Emily Bites replied: — April 16th, 2015 @ 9:55 pm

Hope you try it and love it!

Megan — April 16, 2015 @ 7:41 pm

Looks great! I’m looking for something to make for breakfast next weekend when I have company visiting–do you think this would do well if made ahead and kept in fridge covered 1-2 days (before cooking)?

• Emily Bites replied: — April 16th, 2015 @ 9:54 pm

Hm, I haven’t tried it like that but I think it’d be okay. The potato crust has to cook before you add the egg mixture so I’m not sure if you were thinking about doing that first? The egg mixture only takes a couple minutes to stir together, so I’d probably just do it day of, but let me know if you try it ahead!

Jamie — April 16, 2015 @ 9:10 pm

Hi Emily! I have everything here to make this except the ham. Do you think Canadian bacon would work as a substitute? Thanks for the great looking brunch idea!

• Emily Bites replied: — April 16th, 2015 @ 9:51 pm

Sure, I think it would be great! Hope you love it 🙂

Cheryl — April 16, 2015 @ 10:18 pm

I wonder if this would work in a cast iron skillet with a lid over a campfire??? Cook through then use a kitchen torch to brown the top… May have to try… Thanks for the recipe…

• Emily Bites replied: — April 20th, 2015 @ 10:19 am

Cool idea, if you try it let me know how it works out!

Mary Beth — April 17, 2015 @ 9:14 am

This looks delicious! I’m hoping to wrap and freeze individual portions for a quick breakfast during the week. Or to pack in my lunch bag for work. Have you tried freezing and re-heating? Thanks for another great recipe!

• Emily Bites replied: — April 20th, 2015 @ 10:19 am

I have not tried that but I’m assuming this will freeze just fine. Hope you love it!

Anna — April 19, 2015 @ 6:36 pm

I am so happy you posted this recipe! Quiche is one of my favorite foods but made traditionally it isn’t very diet friendly. I’m going to make it this week and plan on making it again for Mother’s Day as you suggested!

• Emily Bites replied: — April 20th, 2015 @ 10:16 am

Let me know how it goes! Hope you love it 🙂

Lisa — April 20, 2015 @ 7:49 am

I tried this and it was really, really good. I don’t have a pie plate so I made it in a glass 8×8 and it turned out fine. I also increased the portions – to me it felt like a 6-serving meal, since I was serving it for dinner. The one (very small) down side is that it’s a lot of oven time (one hour total) but the prep is really easy. Overall the dish was totally delicious and I’m definitely putting this in my rotation! If you’re thinking about it, do it!

• Emily Bites replied: — April 20th, 2015 @ 10:16 am

I’m glad it was a hit, Lisa! Thanks for letting me know 🙂

Anna — April 23, 2015 @ 10:05 pm

I made this tonight and loved it! I did as someone else said and increased the portion sizes as I made the quiche for dinner. I also used chives instead of a scallion because my grocery was out of scallions (really?!). But this dish is amazing and I will definitely be making it again. Thanks for another great healthy recipe!

• Emily Bites replied: — April 26th, 2015 @ 8:54 pm

I’m so happy you loved it! I hate when the store is out of something I need, but I bet chives were yummy too. Thanks for your comment!

Emily — April 28, 2015 @ 8:44 am

Made this for brunch on Sunday and it was so yummy. I served it with some roasted asparagus and it was a great combo. It also got me thinking that the filling ingredients could be changed up. Very versatile. It also heats up really well!

Andrea Frazee — April 28, 2015 @ 8:19 pm

THANK YOU!!! This recipe was perfection in every way! I’ve made quite a few of your recipes and this has been our fave! You rock!!

Cindy — April 29, 2015 @ 10:34 pm

Do you think this could be made with Egg Beaters to make it lower calorie? How would that affect the consistency and how much should be used?

• Emily Bites replied: — April 30th, 2015 @ 9:49 am

I’m sure egg beaters would probably work! I very rarely use Egg Beaters for anything, so I can’t really speak to the consistency, but I do know the cartons have an eggs to egg beaters conversion on them to help you determine how much to use 🙂

Kathy — April 30, 2015 @ 12:02 pm

I usually adore your recipes – this one, not so much. I think I’ll stick to lightening up my regular quiche recipe – the consistency is more creamy even though I use all low fat ingredients.

Julie — May 14, 2015 @ 8:09 am

made this for dinner last night and now eating it for breakfast!!! yummmm!!!

Katie — May 15, 2015 @ 1:03 pm

What a hit! I made this at the beginning of the week for dinner and have been bringing the leftovers for lunch everyday and I’m sad I just finished the last piece! I had made it for dinner and paired for a salad but I’m definitely going to keep this on the rotation for brunch!

Jamie — May 31, 2015 @ 4:34 pm

I made this for breakfast this morning and everyone loved it. There are three pieces left, which will be for lunch throughout the week, too (love it when that happens)! 🙂 Thanks, Emily!

Laura — June 11, 2015 @ 8:13 am

Oh this is soooo good! And simple! I’ve tried many different breakfast casserole style dishes & this one was definitely the best and easiest to make as well. I didn’t have scallions so I just skipped them and used a combo of Swiss & cheddar. Just delicious.

Leah — June 11, 2015 @ 5:34 pm

I just made this last night – it was incredibly flavorful and delicious! It by far exceeded by expectations compared to other similar recipes I’ve had in the past. Thank you!!

Elaine — July 14, 2015 @ 10:18 pm

This is amazing!

Phaedra Allen — September 15, 2015 @ 4:21 pm

This is SO YUMMY!! We have decided that we MUST make this every weekend to last throughout the week. We can eat it for breakfast, take for lunch, or even have for a quick dinner! It’s now a staple in our house!!

• Emily Bites replied: — September 21st, 2015 @ 11:14 am

I’m so happy you love it so much!! Thanks for reporting back to let me know 🙂

Jill P — October 13, 2015 @ 4:30 pm

Do you think frozen hashbrowns would work if I thawed them first in the fridge?

CC — October 17, 2015 @ 9:24 pm

Has anyone had success with prepping the crust the night before, and then finishing it off with the filling the next morning?

Elaine — November 11, 2015 @ 10:46 pm

You can use frozen hash browns after they thaw. Just did that this week. It worked great.

Rosanne — November 17, 2015 @ 9:06 am

My daughter made this for me and it was OUT OF THIS WORLD. Even the picky kids like it!
    My daughter has turned me on to this site and I am thrilled she has. She makes most of her meals from here and with 3 small children, the recipes are quite kid friendly. Great site. Thanks so much.

Rosanne — November 17, 2015 @ 9:08 am

I meant to add my daughter usually makes 2 of these and bakes them both up and freezes one for a later date! She said they freeze beautifully!

Taylor T. — November 21, 2015 @ 10:44 am

Hi Emily!

This recipe looks amazing, I want to make it for my next brunch event coming up soon 🙂

I was looking at the calorie information you posted, and I am wondering, does this quiche serve 6 or 8?

Thanks!

• Emily Bites replied: — November 21st, 2015 @ 10:46 am

Hi Taylor, the serving info is all listed under the recipe title in the recipe section of the post 🙂

Taylor T. — November 21, 2015 @ 10:47 am

Oops — sorry!!

I just saw where the servings were listed!! Lol! Well, I can’t wait to make this and I will let you know how the family likes it!

Amanda — December 13, 2015 @ 2:23 pm

The whole family loved it! Absolutely delicious!! Thanks for all your amazing recipes 🙂

Terry — December 13, 2015 @ 5:49 pm

I wanted to let you know how I changed up this recipe. I divided the hash brown mixture into two pie pans. Then I doubled the egg mixture and divided it between the two pans. You can bake the crust several hours ahead and set aside. I preferred the thinner crust. Oh and bonus, it’s gluten free. Everyone loved it!

Cheryl — December 17, 2015 @ 12:49 pm

Has anyone made this using fresh shredded potatoes??? Just Wondering… Would like to avoid the extra sodium… Thank You…

Renae — December 22, 2015 @ 1:40 pm

Cheryl, I made this yesterday with fresh potatoes and it turned out excellent. I am not an egg person but I could be with this! Even better the next day! Thank you Emily!!

Lauren — January 7, 2016 @ 10:47 pm

I made this tonight and we loved it!! We like having breakfast dishes for dinner every now and then and this one will definitely be in the routine now. It came out perfectly. Thanks for a winning recipe!

Gaila — January 16, 2016 @ 11:00 pm

Absolutely delicious and satisfying! Thank you, thank you, thank you! My boyfriend loves this breakfast casserole I used to make but it’s packed wiTh calories and has been begging me to make it, so I decide to make this instead and he loved it! Absolute hit, he had no ide it was a weight watcher recipe! Bravo!

Rosemary — May 29, 2016 @ 11:53 am

Wow! This one received high praise from my hubby and toddler. We all loved it. Thank you for posting it!

Nicki — June 6, 2016 @ 3:40 pm

I made this over the weekend as I am a huge fan of quiche, but it has been pushed off of my menu. THIS is so good. I can now eat it and bring a few servings for my friends at work.

Cheri — August 16, 2016 @ 10:11 am

Hi I may be overlooking it but how many does this serve or what is a serving size? Thanks! My family and I love your recipes!

Debbie — October 3, 2016 @ 8:14 pm

We have made this several times and really enjoy it. However, we are finding additional time is required for the last baking step. The eggs are still runny when we take it out of the oven after 30 minutes. At first we thought it might be our oven, but we recently replaced it and had the same problem. We live in a high altitude area and wondered if this may be the issue. Anyone else have an issue with this?

Vanna — December 4, 2016 @ 6:17 pm

Made this tonight for my breakfast at work this week. I had to sample it tonight and it is SO good and super easy to make! Thank you!

Susan — March 12, 2017 @ 6:35 pm

Hi Emily;

Instead of hash browns can I use cauliflower rice for a crust?

• Emily Bites replied: — March 12th, 2017 @ 6:43 pm

I have never tried anything like that so I honestly can’t say how it would turn out. Feel free to report back if you give it a shot!

Debbie — March 15, 2017 @ 8:18 pm

Has anyone used egg beaters?