Bubble Up Breakfast Casserole
You may be thinking, “a breakfast bake with sweet potatoes?” The answer is yes, YES, a million times yes. After making this Bubble Up Breakfast Casserole I think every breakfast should contain sweet potatoes. The spicy sausage and smoky bacon combine so beautifully with the sweet potato flavor. You know when some of the syrup from your pancakes gets on your sausage links and it’s sweet and savory heaven? It’s kind of like that with eggs, biscuits and sharp cheddar cheese in the mix just to make it even better.
Breakfast is not generally my favorite meal of the day (I often eat dinner leftovers), but this Bubble Up Breakfast Casserole is hands down my new favorite breakfast. I even ate it again for lunch…and dinner, so that’s saying something. It’s also really simple to make, super filling and just 315 calories or 9 Weight Watchers SmartPoints per serving.
Bubble Up Breakfast Casserole
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 4 slices Center Cut bacon, chopped
- 1 lb hot Italian poultry sausage, casings removed (turkey or chicken will work fine)
- 1 (7.5 oz) can of refrigerated biscuit dough, biscuits cut into quarters (I used Wegmans brand, Pillsbury also makes them – if you can only find Grands, weigh out 7.5 ounces and cut them into small bite-sized pieces)
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 oz 50% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I used Cabot)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350. Lightly mist a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Stab the sweet potato 5-6 times with a fork in different places, piercing the skin. Place the potato on a plate and microwave on high for 6-8 minutes, flipping the potato over halfway through. Potato should be easy to slice when finished. Peel off the skin and dice the potato into small, bite-size pieces and set aside. You need about 6 ounces of cooked sweet potato (if you have leftover, just save it to eat separately).
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon pieces until crisp and then drain the grease. Remove the bacon to a side late and add the sausage to the pan. Cook the sausage, breaking it up with a spatula into small pieces until cooked through. Drain any remaining grease from the pan and transfer the sausage, bacon, sweet potatoes and biscuit pieces to the prepared baking dish. Stir together until well combined.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the eggs, egg whites, water, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes and whisk together until beaten and well combined. Pour the egg mixture over top of the other ingredients in the baking dish and stir together so that ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle the Cheddar over the top. Return to the oven for another 10 minutes until hot and bubbly.
Weight Watchers SmartPoints:
9 per serving (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
8 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
315 calories, 25 g carbs, 5 g sugars, 13 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 27 g protein, 1 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
an Emily Bites Original