Sep 01

Pumpkin Alfredo Tortellini Skillet

Pumpkin Alfredo Tortellini Skillet

Oh. My. Goodness. This one-pot Pumpkin Alfredo Tortellini Skillet with spicy sausage is so creamy, dreamy, savory and decadent, you are never going to believe that it’s lightened up. The pumpkin with sage and marjoram tastes like Fall and it pairs perfectly with the smooth, cheesy flavor of the alfredo, the rustic, spiciness of the sausage and the hearty, cheese-filled tortellini pasta. I also tossed in some fresh spinach leaves to bulk it up a little (even a decadent dish can use a vegetable) and it rounded out the dish perfectly.

Pumpkin Alfredo Tortellini Skillet

This Pumpkin Alfredo Tortellini Skillet comes together simply and quickly, making it a great weeknight meal. The best part is that everything cooks right in the same skillet – less dishes! I love one-pot meals. Not only is this a great weeknight meal to serve yourself or your family, but it’s also a great, crowd-pleasing dish for company because it looks beautiful and complicated even though it’s deceptively easy. It’s also only 332 calories or 10 Weight Watchers SmartPoints per serving, so although it tastes sinful, it’s not! Serve it up with a side salad and you have a perfect meal.

Looking for more lightened up pasta dishes? Try my Sausage Tortellini Skillet, Cheesy Chicken Veggie Pasta Skillet, Chicken Cordon Blue Pasta Bake, Tomato Soup Mac & Cheese, Creamy Pasta with Sausage and Mustard Seeds, Spicy Sausage PastaSpaghetti Pie, Pumpkin Mac & Cheese, Spicy Sausage and Eggplant Pasta Bake, Cheesy Taco Pasta and more in the pasta section of my recipe index!

Pumpkin Alfredo Tortellini Skillet

Yield: 8 (1 cup) servings

• 1 lb hot Italian turkey or poultry sausage, casings removed
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
  • 1 cup low sodium fat free chicken broth
  • ¼ teaspoon black pepper
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon dried marjoram
  • ¼ teaspoon rubbed sage
  • A pinch of cayenne
  • 15 oz jar light alfredo sauce (I highly recommend the Classico light alfredo sauce)
  • 20 oz refrigerated cheese tortellini
  • 5 oz baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped

1. Place the sausage in a large skillet or saute pan over medium heat and cook for a few minutes, breaking apart with a wooden spoon until it starts to brown a bit. Once the meat starts to break apart, add the onion and garlic and stir together. Continue to cook while breaking up meat and stirring regularly until sausage is cooked through and onions are softened.
  2. Add the pumpkin puree and the chicken broth and stir together until the pumpkin and broth and well combined. Add the pepper, salt, marjoram, sage, cayenne and alfredo sauce and stir until the pumpkin and alfredo are well combined. Add the tortellini and stir until coated with the sauce. Cover the pan with a lid and bring heat up until you can see the sauce bubble. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 8 minutes until tortellini is cooked. Remove the lid and stir in the chopped spinach until the spinach is wilted and all ingredients are well combined.

Weight Watchers SmartPoints:
10 per (1 generous cup) serving (SPs calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

9 per (1 generous cup) serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

332 calories, 40 g carbs, 3 g sugars, 10 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 20 g protein, 3 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)

an Emily Bites Original

Yum

42 Responses to “Pumpkin Alfredo Tortellini Skillet”

Sarah — September 1, 2015 @ 3:48 pm

this sounds and looks delish!! i love everything pumpkin and can’t wait for fall and i can’t wait to make this! sounds so easy too!

• Emily Bites replied: — September 1st, 2015 @ 7:52 pm

I can’t wait either! I know it’s not Fall yet but at least I waited until September, right? Haha. I hope you love it!

AMY — September 1, 2015 @ 5:59 pm

Any suggestions on how to make this without sausage? This sounds amazing but I don’t like a lot of meat and especially sausage.

• Emily Bites replied: — September 1st, 2015 @ 7:50 pm

Well you could definitely just make the recipe without sausage if you’d like or you could replace it with mushrooms or another vegetable since you’re not a meat eater. Hope you like it!

Mary Beth — September 2, 2015 @ 11:12 am

This sounds delicious! Question: I live alone and will probably halve this recipe, and refrigerate the leftovers, but how can I save leftover pumpkin? I’ll be using less than half a can. Have you ever frozen pumpkin puree and thawed it for use in another dish later?

• Emily Bites replied: — September 8th, 2015 @ 12:01 am

You can definitely freeze pumpkin puree! It should be fine for several months and you can easily thaw it out to use in another dish. Hope you love it 🙂

Elizabeth — September 3, 2015 @ 10:03 am

I wonder if doubling would work- then its lunch for me for a while- I wouldn’t eat as much as for dinner- 9 pts for lunch is a lot for me- but this sounds wonderful!

• Emily Bites replied: — September 7th, 2015 @ 11:59 pm

It already makes 8 full-size servings, so if you want to eat smaller portions it would make even more…are you sure you want to double it? I think you’d need a really big pan 🙂

Kristi — September 4, 2015 @ 12:05 pm

Had this for dinner last night and it was AMAZING. My boyfriend absolutely loved it and told me he would really like to have it again soon. Thank you!

• Emily Bites replied: — September 7th, 2015 @ 11:56 pm

I’m so happy you both loved it! Thanks so much for letting me know 🙂

Pauli — September 4, 2015 @ 9:34 pm

This was delicious! I used frozen tortellini and sweet Italian turkey sausage and it worked perfectly. I also added spiralized golden zucchini, which bulked it up even more.

• Emily Bites replied: — September 7th, 2015 @ 11:56 pm

Yum, sounds like a good addition! Glad to hear the frozen tortellini worked out as well. Thanks for posting, I’m glad you loved it!

Matt — September 6, 2015 @ 6:44 pm

This was amazing – absolutely in my top 5 recipes from your website. Bravo!

• Emily Bites replied: — September 7th, 2015 @ 11:55 pm

I’m so happy you loved it, Matt!

Dawnielle — September 9, 2015 @ 8:52 pm

This was soooooo delicious! My husband and 2 yr old (and me) devoured it. Thank you for another wonderful recipe!

• Emily Bites replied: — September 13th, 2015 @ 9:52 pm

Yay! Glad to hear it was a hit with the whole fam 🙂

Jacquelyn — September 13, 2015 @ 5:49 pm

Just made this today and it was AMAZING!! My boyfriend loved it too. Definitely a great fall recipe for when it starts cooling off and it wasn’t too pumpkin-y. Just the right amount! Saving this in my favorites!

• Emily Bites replied: — September 13th, 2015 @ 10:01 pm

Yay! I’m so happy you both loved it, thanks for letting me know! 🙂

Danielle — September 13, 2015 @ 7:39 pm

Just made this for dinner and it was great! I had to split it into portions for leftovers so I don’t keep eating it. Boyfriend liked it too! I will make this again for sure!!

• Emily Bites replied: — September 13th, 2015 @ 10:01 pm

Great idea on the pre-portioning, haha. I’m glad to hear it was a hit with you both! Thanks so much for commenting 🙂

Michelle — September 17, 2015 @ 7:55 pm

Wow! This was like something I would get at a fancy restaurant. So easy to make. The only thing I did differently was use 1/2 tsp of poultry seasoning bc I didn’t have marjoram or sage. Great recipe!

• Emily Bites replied: — September 21st, 2015 @ 11:09 am

I’m so happy that you loved it! Thanks for the nice comment, I hope you make it again!

Stephanie — September 18, 2015 @ 7:34 pm

Oh my gosh, seriously? This was FANTASTIC! Such an easy recipe and so full of flavor. Definitely making it a staple dinner for our house.

• Emily Bites replied: — September 21st, 2015 @ 11:08 am

Yay, I’m so glad you loved it! 🙂

Lisa — September 22, 2015 @ 8:53 am

This is going on my list for next week. I’m even more excited reading other people’s comments! Thanks Emily, you do great work!

Karly — September 22, 2015 @ 9:17 am

Made this last night – SO good. Not to pumpkin-y which I was nervous about so I was thrilled with this! It’s only 9am and I can’t wait for my lunch leftovers today!!

Nancy — September 22, 2015 @ 4:49 pm

Make this last night for my family and my teenagers were going yuck pumpkin, but after they ate it they raved about it!!!! Will be making this again very soon, delicious!!!! 🙂 Thanks again Emily for all your great recipes 😉

Lisa — September 22, 2015 @ 7:07 pm

This is incredible! I made it tonight with sweet Italian turkey sausage and it was a huge hit. Very easy to make! Thanks for a great recipe.

sally — September 30, 2015 @ 11:51 am

Made this last night it is absolutely delicious!!!

Maureen — October 8, 2015 @ 7:31 am

I made this last evening for dinner. Not only did it come together super quick, it was FABULOUS. My husband, who hates this time of year because I put pumpkin in everything, went back for seconds. I did have a difficult time finding spicy poultry Italian sausage so I ended up getting sweet instead and added red pepper, hot sauce and went a little heavier on the cayenne. The heat mixed with the cream of the alfredo and sweet of the pumpkin…so, so good. Thank you Emily!

• Emily Bites replied: — October 12th, 2015 @ 5:39 pm

Yay, I’m so happy to hear you both loved it! I think this recipe has just enough pumpkin for the pumpkin lovers but it’s mild enough to convert the haters ;). Thanks for your comment!

Surreah — October 9, 2015 @ 11:26 am

Delish! Husband doesn’t like pumpkin, so I made it a night he was at work late. For people who say they don’t like pumpkin, try it anyways! It was so good & the flavors are so well put together you wont notice its pumpkin.

• Emily Bites replied: — October 12th, 2015 @ 5:35 pm

I’m so happy you liked it! I agree, the pumpkin flavor is mild, perfect for those on the fence about pumpkin 🙂

Ashley — October 14, 2015 @ 5:29 pm

As I write this, my boyfriend is going back for seconds. 20 minutes ago, he was shaking his head saying he wouldn’t eat it because of the pumpkin. Although I date the pickiest eater, he has eaten and loved everything Ive made from this site. This was sooooooo delicious! I am once again so impressed!

Emma — October 15, 2015 @ 9:19 am

This was SO good! I made it with mushrooms instead of sausage, as you suggested in one of the comments above, and I found they gave it a lovely earthy flavor that really complimented the dish. And so easy! Will definitely be making this again!

Samantha — October 22, 2015 @ 6:38 pm

Made this for lunch and it was absolutely delish!! Above and beyond what I expected, and a wonderful comfort food. Very filling. I did drain the sausage grease before adding the chicken broth and pureed pumpkin. Thank you for the amazing recipe!! 🙂

Heather Arnold — November 3, 2015 @ 4:36 pm

Made this for dinner last night and we loved it. Had the leftovers today. Easy to make and comes together pretty quick!!! For those who are hesitant about the pumpkin flavor—it’s not overwhelming at all!

Audrey — November 4, 2015 @ 8:55 am

I made this last week with two subs – butternut squash for pumpkin, and baby kale for spinach – it was all my local store had! I think the dish came across in the same manner though! OMG it was incredible. My husband took a bite and said “This is the best thing I’ve ever eaten.” SO amazingly delicious!! Great job!! 🙂

Karly — January 14, 2016 @ 9:19 am

Do you think this recipe would freeze well? I LOVE this recipe so much and I have some extra sausage in the fridge that needs to be used but I already have enough meals planned out for my week so I want to make it and freeze it – any recommendations?

• Emily Bites replied: — January 15th, 2016 @ 8:50 am

I almost never freeze leftovers, so this is my most dreaded (and frequent) question, haha. I have never frozen this, so I’m honestly not sure, but if you try it please report back!

Jennifer — April 21, 2016 @ 3:40 pm

Emily, you are a culinary genius. I was hesitant to make this, but I LOVE pumpkin so I decided to go ahead and give it a try. My husband thumbed his nose when I told him what was for dinner and ended up loving it even more than I did (which is a LOT). The pumpkin isn’t overwhelming but makes it oh so creamy and it pairs surprisingly well with the sausage. I swear, all of your recipes taste so gluttonous without the guilt! Keep them coming!

Amanda K. — May 1, 2016 @ 10:11 pm

Omg this is SO good. My Husband loved it too. My friend who does WW and referred me this site asked me how it was, and I told her that its something I would orderat an italian restaraunt! My entire menu this week is made up of your recipes, and I made a few last week too. Thank you very much for the detail and effort you put into your posts so that people like me can lose weight without chiking down plain chicken breast every night… 🙂