Nov 09

Sweet Potato Casserole Stacks

Sweet Potato Casserole Stacks

I love sweet potatoes and you all know I love muffin tins, so when I kept seeing traditional potatoes made into cute little stacks this way I had an epiphany: sweet potato stacks! Now, I’m probably not the first person to ever dream that up, but as I continued to think about it I decided to go all out with the idea and top my stacks off with a buttery brown sugar pecan topping: Sweet Potato Casserole Stacks! These stacks are a fun twist on the traditional Thanksgiving casserole, perfectly portioned and just as at home as part of your weekday family dinner as they are on your holiday table.

Sweet Potato Casserole Stacks

Thinly sliced sweet potatoes are layered with butter, oil and syrup and then topped with a sweet, crunchy topping and each one is only 141 calories or 3 Weight Watchers points! These stacks are a great side dish for any meaty main dish and they are perfect for your Thanksgiving meal or a Friendsgiving party because they look fresh and impressive and they taste comforting and familiar.

Sweet Potato Casserole Stacks

Looking for more lightened up, tasty side dishes to complement your mains? Check out the side dish section of my recipe index for my Roasted Smashed Garlic PotatoesCheesy Broccoli Bake, Garlic Roasted Green Beans with Almonds, Loaded Cauliflower Bake, Zucchini Casserole, Garlic Thyme Roasted Carrots, Cheesy Potluck Potatoes, Spinach and Parmesan Orzo, Parmesan Roasted Sweet Potatoes and many more!

Sweet Potato Casserole Stacks

Yield: 12 stacks

• 2 ½ lbs raw sweet potatoes, sliced very thin (you can use a mandolin or a sharp knife)
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 2 ½ tablespoons light butter, melted, divided (I used Land O’Lakes)
  • 2 tablespoons light breakfast syrup (I used butter flavored syrup)
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • 5 teaspoons brown sugar
  • 5 teaspoons chopped pecans

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly mist a standard size 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
  2. Combine the oil with one tablespoon of the butter, the syrup and the vanilla in a small dish or bowl. Place the sweet potato slices in a large mixing bowl and drizzle the syrup mixture over the potatoes. Stir until the potato slices are coated. Stack the slices into the cups of the prepared muffin tin to form even piles.
  3. In another small bowl, combine the salt with the flour, brown sugar, pecans and the remaining tablespoon and a half of melted butter. Stir together until well combined and then divide the mixture evenly over top of the potato stacks. Place the stacks in the oven and bake for 45-55 minutes until the stacks are cooked through.

Weight Watchers SmartPoints:
5 per stack (SPs calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

3 per stack (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

141 calories, 22 g carbs, 6 g sugar, 5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 2 g protein, 3 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)

Yum

18 Responses to “Sweet Potato Casserole Stacks”

husbandman — November 9, 2015 @ 12:36 pm

Can’t wait to get home!

serena — November 9, 2015 @ 7:33 pm

How do you remove from tin and keep them so neat looking?

• Emily Bites replied: — November 9th, 2015 @ 7:45 pm

I just reached in with a spoon and lifted them out 🙂

Beth — November 9, 2015 @ 10:32 pm

These look great. Did you peel the sweet potato? (I’m more than a little excited to try this recipe)

• Emily Bites replied: — November 9th, 2015 @ 11:29 pm

Yay, I hope you love them! I didn’t peel them, I just washed them up and sliced them with the peels on 🙂

Audrey — November 10, 2015 @ 3:37 pm

Haha is Husbandman your hubby?! Too funny!!

I cannot wait to try this!! I was on a major sweet potato kick for a few months and haven’t had them for a while ~ my hubby got tired of them haha! This may get him back on the sweet potato horse! 😀

Jennifer — November 11, 2015 @ 11:10 am

How would you reheat these?
    My MIL makes sweet potato casserole with marshmallows on top. She and my FIL are the only two (out of 15) people who eat it. I’d love to make this so the rest of us can have some good sweet potato casserole. : ))

Thanks!

Rosanne — November 17, 2015 @ 8:56 am

do they stick in the pan or do they easily come out? I am worried about cleaning the pan. Seems my old muffin tins are really hard to clean. I can’t wait to try these!

• Emily Bites replied: — November 17th, 2015 @ 2:33 pm

My pans are nonstick and pretty new, but my stacks slid right out onto a spoon!

Jennifer — November 17, 2015 @ 11:23 am

This sounds like such a good idea for the holidays. I was trying to think of a way not to do a whole casserole since there will be so many side dishes. So I have a question for you. I know this changes the points and calories – I don’t do weight watchers but love lower calorie foods. Do you think I could do a few of these with the miniature marshmallows. I’m afraid the marshmallows might be too big and over power the size of the stack. Some of them I need to leave the nuts out as well because we have a family member with diverticulitis. So I find your recipe easiest to adapt to all food issues, I might even put half the sweet potato in each muffin tin so that other side dishes can be eaten without the guilt. What a neat idea.

• Emily Bites replied: — November 17th, 2015 @ 2:35 pm

I definitely think you can do some with mini marshmallows instead of the pecan topping! I haven’t specifically tried it that way, but I don’t see why not. Let me know how it turns out! I hope your whole family loves it!

DEB LENTZ — November 18, 2015 @ 8:24 pm

Emily could these be put together ahead of time and then popped in the oven a number of hours later?

Val — November 25, 2015 @ 12:11 pm

Can these be made a day ahead of time?

• Emily Bites replied: — November 25th, 2015 @ 2:58 pm

Hi Val, for best results I wouldn’t recommend it. You can probably prep a lot of it the day before (slice the potatoes, etc) but I would cook it to serve :).

Barbara Petty — November 28, 2015 @ 1:47 am

Hi – I made these for Thanksgiving dinner. So easy and delicious!!! They were gobbled up. Thank you!

Ellen — December 30, 2015 @ 6:42 pm

Can I use pure maple syrup instead of breakfast syrup?

• Emily Bites replied: — December 31st, 2015 @ 9:45 am

Sure! Obviously it will change the nutrition information etc, but it should work the same.

Brenda — February 13, 2016 @ 11:27 am

Do you have a cookbook????