Barbecue Chicken Enchiladas
These Barbecue Chicken Enchiladas are about to be the Mexi-American mashup of your dreams. Seriously, they’re so crave-worthy. A little sweet from the barbecue and a little spicy from the chili powder, the flavor of these enchiladas is out of this world. To make these, I tweaked my tried-and-true recipe for Buffalo Chicken Enchiladas and now I can’t decide which one I like better. They’re both amazing! Not only are these Barbecue Chicken Enchiladas incredibly flavorful, a serving of two enchiladas is only 329 calories or 7 Weight Watchers SmartPoints!
Love the idea of combining two cuisines for a recipe mashup? Check out my Spicy Taco Gnocchi Skillet, Bacon BBQ Cheeseburger Quesadillas, Buffalo Chicken Lasagna Roll-Ups, Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Shells, Mexi Meatloaf Muffins, Mexican Lasagna Roll-Ups, Buffalo Chicken Enchiladas, Chicken Parmesan Meatloaf Muffins and more in the recipe index!
Barbecue Chicken Enchiladas
Yield: 5 (2 enchilada) servings
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (try to choose one low in sugar, I use Stubbs Original)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 lb chicken breasts (I usually cut mine in half so they’re thinner)
- 4 oz 50% sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 10 (6 inch) yellow corn tortillas (I use Mission Extra Thin Yellow Corn Tortillas)
- 1 scallion, chopped (greens only)
- Pre-heat the oven to 425. Lightly mist a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the barbecue sauce, tomato sauce, garlic, chili powder and cumin until thoroughly combined and set aside.
- In a large skillet or sauté pan, bring the oil to medium heat. Add the chopped onions and cook for a couple minutes until they start to soften and become fragrant. Add the chicken breasts in a single layer and cook for 3 minutes on one side, flip them over, and then continue to cook for 2-3 minutes on the other side. Add the sauce mixture to the pan and bring it to a boil. Lower the heat to low and cover the pan. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, occasionally removing the lid to stir the sauce, until the chicken is fully cooked through.
- Remove the pan from heat and transfer each breast to a cutting board, shredding it using two forks. Transfer the shredded chicken to a large mixing bowl. Add ½ cup of the sauce from the pan to the chicken along with 2 ounces (about ½ cup) or the shredded cheese. Mix everything in the bowl together until well combined.
- Microwave the tortillas for 30-60 seconds on high until warm and soft. Spread 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture onto a tortilla and tightly roll it up. Place the rolled tortilla seam side down in the prepared baking dish and repeat with the remaining tortillas. Spray the tops of the rolled tortillas with cooking spray and bake in the oven for 8 minutes until tortillas are slightly crispy.
- Reduce the heat to 400 and pour the remainder of the sauce evenly over the tops of the enchiladas, followed by the remaining 2 ounces of shredded cheese. Place back in the oven for an additional 18-20 minutes. Sprinkle the sliced scallions over the top of the entire dish and serve.
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints:
7 per (2 enchilada) serving (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
8 per (2 enchilada) serving (PP calculated using a Weight Watchers PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition information below)
Nutrition Information per 2 enchilada serving:
329 calories, 32 g carbs, 11 g sugars, 9 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 30 g protein, 4 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
an Emily Bites Original