Corn and Zucchini Summer Frittata
“HELLO SUMMER!!” That’s what my taste buds had to say after trying this bright, fresh and herby Corn and Zucchini Summer Frittata. I’m obsessed. The fresh basil and chives, the juicy zucchini and the sweet corn combine perfectly with the fluffy eggs and rich sharp cheddar to make this frittata totally swoon-worthy. It’s also a great way to use up leftover corn on the cob or zucchini (if the corn is already cooked you can just cut it off and skip cooking it)! I absolutely love the sharp white cheddar in this, but if that’s not your thing you could definitely substitute Mozzarella or another flavorful melty cheese. I often use 2% or other reduced fat cheeses in my recipes, but since the cheese flavor really shines as a rich contrast to all fresh ingredients in this dish I went full out with the full fat sharp cheddar. I’m so happy I did too, it’s the perfect balance of flavors.
This Corn and Zucchini Summer Frittata comes together easily and it’s equally at home at an everyday family breakfast or a fancy brunch with guests. I recommend serving with a fruit salad for breakfast or a fresh green salad for brunch. Each slice if just 167 calories or 5 Weight Watchers SmartPoints, so it saves you a little room for a mimosa…or bacon. 😉
Looking for more tasty, lightened up breakfast recipes? Check out my Apple Streusel French Toast Muffins, Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Quiche, Maple Bacon Breakfast Wraps, Pear Gingerbread Baked Oatmeal Singles, Bubble Up Breakfast Casserole, Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmeal Singles, Hummus and Feta Omelet, Mini Dutch Baby Pancakes, Sausage Egg and Cheese Hash Brown Cups and many more in the breakfast category of my recipe index!
Corn and Zucchini Summer Frittata
Yield: 6 slices
- 1 medium ear of fresh raw corn
- 1 tablespoon light butter (I use Land O’Lakes)
- 1 cup thin sliced zucchini
- 8 large eggs
- 1/3 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt (I used Fage)
- ¾ teaspoon salt (plus a sprinkle more for the corn & zucchini)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (plus a sprinkle more for the corn & zucchini)
- 1 tablespoon diced chives
- ¼ cup sliced fresh basil
- 2 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I used Cabot Seriously Sharp)
- Pre-heat your oven to 350. Shuck the corn and remove any remaining strings. Use a large sharp knife to cut off the kernels as close to the cob as you can get (I ended up with about 1 cup of kernels).
- Melt the butter in an 8”-10” oven-safe nonstick deep skillet over medium-low heat. Add the corn kernels and the sliced zucchini and stir to coat. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring regularly, for 6-8 minutes or until corn and zucchini are cooked through.
- While the corn and zucchini are cooking, break the eggs into a large mixing bowl and whisk together until just combined. Add the yogurt, salt, black pepper, chives, basil and shredded cheese and stir together until mixed.
- When the corn and zucchini are cooked, transfer them into the bowl containing the egg mixture and stir together. Spray the skillet you used liberally with cooking spray and then pour the egg mixture into the skillet. Cook on a burner set to medium heat for 5-7 minutes until the very outside edge of the frittata starts to turn opaque/look cooked. Transfer the skillet into the oven and cook for 15-17 minutes until the center is set. Let cool for 5 minutes, then slice into 6 slices and serve.
Weight Watchers SmartPoints:
5 per slice (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
4 per slice (P+ calculated using a Weight Watchers brand PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition information below)
Nutrition Information per slice:
167 calories, 5 g carbs, 2 g sugars, 11 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 13 g protein, 1 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
an Emily Bites Original