Aug 16

Beefy American Goulash

Beefy American Goulash

This one-pot Beefy American Goulash is a dish that goes by many names. I’ve seen people make similar dishes that went by many names (American Chop Suey is another popular title), but whatever you call it, there’s no denying that this is classic comfort food. Meaty, saucy and full of juicy tomatoes and hearty macaroni, this savory dish comes together simply and all in one pot (yay, less dishes!). This Beefy American Goulash makes a little over 15 cups total, so each satisfying serving is almost 2 cups! That’s a lot of comfort for just 379 calories or 8 Weight Watchers SmartPoints.

Beefy American Goulash

I definitely recommend making this recipe as written (don’t omit the soy sauce, paprika or seasoned salt – they’re necessary for the flavor!), but you can add to it if you wish. Some people add bell peppers or cheese, and you can definitely add other veggies or mix-ins. I am usually of the mindset that anything can be improved by cheese, but I honestly found this dish doesn’t even need it. I know, who the heck am I? I do sometimes sprinkle some Parmesan on top if I’m feeling cheesy.

Beefy American Goulash

Looking for more lightened up comfort food pasta dishes? Check out the pasta section of my recipe index for favorites like Slow Cooker Kickin’ Chicken Pasta, Beef and Sausage Manicotti, Pumpkin Alfredo Tortellini Skillet, Spinach and Artichoke Lasagna Roll Ups, Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Bake, Tomato Soup Mac & Cheese, Spaghetti Pie, Sausage Tortellini Skillet, Buffalo Chicken Lasagna Roll Ups, Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Shells, Spicy Sausage Pasta and many more!

Beefy American Goulash

• 3 bay leaves
  • 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoons seasoned salt
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • ½ teaspoon black pepper
  • 12 oz uncooked elbow macaroni

1. Place the ground beef in a large dutch oven and bring over medium heat. Cook, breaking up with a spoon or spatula, until the meat is browned and in small pieces. Drain the grease from the pan. Add the onions and garlic and stir together. Continue to cook for another 5 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add the water, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, bay leaves, soy sauce, seasoned salt, paprika and black pepper and stir together. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Cover the pot and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
  2. Add the macaroni and stir until well combined. Re-cover the pot and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the macaroni is cooked through. Remove from heat, stir and remove the bay leaves. Allow to sit for 15 minutes before serving.

Weight Watchers SmartPoints:
8 per (scant 2 cups) serving (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

10 per (scant 2 cups) serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

Nutrition Information per (scant 2 cups) serving:
379 calories, 49 g carbs, 10 g sugars, 7 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 33 g protein, 5 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)

Adapted from Paula Deen

Yum

67 Responses to “Beefy American Goulash”

Sarah A — August 16, 2016 @ 1:32 pm

Thanks for the great recipe! Can’t wait to make this! LOVE comfort foods! Do you use regular elbow noodles or whole wheat?

• Emily Bites replied: — August 16th, 2016 @ 1:34 pm

I hope you love it! I used regular Barilla elbows, but you can definitely sub wheat macaroni if you prefer!

Kelly — August 17, 2016 @ 8:31 am

Any recommendations on how to adapt this to cook in the crockpot?

Karen — August 17, 2016 @ 10:02 am

WOW, two cups that is a lot and not to many points with this meal..

Jo — August 17, 2016 @ 10:10 am

How much sodium is in this per serving…high sodium is a no-no for me?

• Emily Bites replied: — August 18th, 2016 @ 1:56 pm

MFP is telling me 1577 for sodium. You could certainly lower that with low sodium diced tomatoes or by reducing the seasoned salt a bit. Hope that helps!

Angelina — August 17, 2016 @ 11:13 am

I recently came across a recipe which was very similar to this one on another Blog. I made it, and it was pretty decent. However, your recipe sounds much better, so I’ll definitely try yours! The only other thing which I’d add into this recipe are some diced green (or) red bell peppers. Otherwise, everything else sounds like what I’d use.
    I too, am very concerned with the amount of sodium in this lovely dish, so I’ll attempt to find lower sodium tomato products to use.

• Emily Bites replied: — August 18th, 2016 @ 1:54 pm

I hope you love it! 🙂

Susie — August 17, 2016 @ 2:04 pm

Love your recipes, Emily! Did you drain the meat?

• Emily Bites replied: — August 18th, 2016 @ 1:52 pm

I did! Sorry about that 🙂

Limepiglet — August 17, 2016 @ 3:42 pm

Delish! Made it exactly as written and was great. Hubby loved it as well. Next time I’m trying with Zoddles! So glad I found this site thank you!

• Emily Bites replied: — August 18th, 2016 @ 1:52 pm

I’m so happy you loved it! 🙂

Katherine — August 18, 2016 @ 1:21 pm

Made his last night … Super delish but SUUUUPER salty! Will definitely make again, but with significantly less seasoning salt. (If you read the Paula Deen recipe reviews, the saltiness is a major issue there too!)

• Emily Bites replied: — August 18th, 2016 @ 1:25 pm

I really didn’t find this overly salty, but I’m sorry you did! I eliminated the Paula’s mostly-salt house seasoning and also used low sodium soy sauce, so my version of the recipe has significantly less salt than hers. Feel free to reduce it further if you prefer!

Jennifer | scoutcooks.com — August 19, 2016 @ 2:34 pm

I haven’t had this in years, my dad used to make it sometimes! I really almost forgot about it till seeing this. Thanks for sharing a fantastic recipe!

Lisa — August 22, 2016 @ 8:11 am

This was so delicious! I also love that it’s just one pot and it makes a LOT. Really easy, very little prep time. You can’t ask for much more!

Tammy — August 22, 2016 @ 9:25 pm

Making this tomorrow night for dinner. Can’t wait to try it! Any recommendations for side dishes other than salad?

Tom — August 24, 2016 @ 5:39 pm

This is a great recipe. I adjusted salt as I went. I put in the onions and garlic first, in some olive oil, with a little Stout and when they were soft, drained and removed. Then I cooked the meat, drained, and added the onions and garlic, and added a little garlic. Used a multigrain-veg pasta instead of elbows (spinach and other vegetables in the pasta), and no seasoned salt (so many have added stuff). Cooking now. Great

Tom — August 24, 2016 @ 6:42 pm

I also added red bell peppers, mushroom, and fresh corn cut off of the cobb, and a few celery sticks chopped up.

Tamara — August 24, 2016 @ 8:02 pm

Made this tonight, it is wonderful! Thank you for the recipe!

Jessay — August 24, 2016 @ 8:35 pm

I made this tonight and took out the soy sauce. Interesting flavors…I am think next time do more of Italian flavors and make it a beef-a-roni. Also, I am cooking the noodles and adding. My noodles didn’t turn out that well. Not sure why:(

Tammy — August 29, 2016 @ 7:04 pm

Oh my goodness, you really knocked it out of the park with this one Emily! Fantastic!! I made it exactly as the recipe called for except I did it with only half of all the ingredients since there’s only two of us. I wouldn’t change a thing. I really wasn’t expecting to like it as much as I did. I paired it with sweet and sour fried cabbage which complimented it to a tee. I can’t wait to eat left overs tomorrow. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Mary Beth Cliugh — September 5, 2016 @ 12:42 pm

I will stick to my Great Aunt Lillian’s recipe she was in her nineties when she past and I’m in my fifties I have never tasted a better one than hers.

• Phyllis replied: — October 24th, 2016 @ 9:23 pm

Mary Beth it’s not necessary to leave such comments. Keep those to yourself. This recipe was delicious so you are missing out!!

Kirsten — September 11, 2016 @ 9:35 pm

Excellent flavor! Easy to make. My family was VERY excited about the taste. Thank you!

Beth — September 19, 2016 @ 8:11 am

I made this for dinner last night and it was fabulous! Hubby had two helpings. We love your receipes. They always come out perfect and taste wonderful. Thank you for posting.

Mary C — September 20, 2016 @ 10:33 am

I made this recently and it was amazing!!!! I’m making it again for a neighbor and she doesn’t like chunky tomatoes. Any suggestions on what I can use to replace them? Thanks!!!

• Lorraine replied: — November 29th, 2016 @ 12:43 pm

You may want to use “crushed” tomatoes. They are a bit thicker than diced but definitely no chunks.

Crystal J — September 20, 2016 @ 3:40 pm

I just made this yesterday for a group of 7 (ranging in age from 16-75) and everyone just LOVED it!! I served it with some sliced up french bread and offered parm cheese on the side for those that wanted to make it cheesy. SO GOOD!

Kim — September 20, 2016 @ 10:42 pm

This was so good! I found the portion to be very generous and it was so filling! For my household this dish did 4 dinners for us! It even tasted better the second day!!

Brandi — September 26, 2016 @ 9:22 pm

loved this as a child!! My NaNa made this all the time for me!! Can’t wait to make it’

Pat Martin — September 28, 2016 @ 11:41 am

Our maid would make this but she would mix the jiffy mix box corn meal mix and dop it around the sides and cook. Would add a little more water. She was a great cook and lived to be 104, Liza Jane.

Ellen — September 28, 2016 @ 3:34 pm

Does this freeze well? If so, how would you suggest doing so? Portioning it out first? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jamie — October 23, 2016 @ 7:08 pm

Loved this, would make with a little less soy and probably only one clove of garlic. I used only two and it was still very garlicky. I added worcestershire to the meat which may be why it came out a little salty.

• Emily Bites replied: — October 23rd, 2016 @ 7:12 pm

Yup, that would do it! If you’re going to add worcestershire sauce I would definitely reduce the amount of soy sauce. Glad you liked it!

Rosanne — October 25, 2016 @ 11:27 am

My daughter made this for her family and one of her 5 year old twins said “This is the best home cooked meal ever!” Out of the mouths of babes… I can’t wait to make it! I, too, would probably add some celery cuz that is just how I roll….

Jane in NE — October 26, 2016 @ 1:26 pm

Loooove this! Have made this 2x…I halved the recipe both times. A definite keeper! Thx!

Amber — November 10, 2016 @ 12:05 pm

When I made this the Italian Seasoning was very strong. Any advice on the kind of Italian Seasoning to use? With all the great reviews I don’t feel like I could have used the right kind. Thank you!

Stephanie Mino — November 28, 2016 @ 5:10 pm

I just made this in my 11-1 cooker and I have to say it is DELICIOUS and I will be making it again. I can’t believe how much 1 serving is. Very happy camper right now……lol

Kathy — December 3, 2016 @ 11:15 am

This dish rocks! It’s one of my hubby’s favorites that gets cooked often. It’s a huge plus that it makes a large quantity which gives me a “go to” during this hectic holiday season. This rates up there with Doritos Taco Salad which is high praise indeed! Thank you for the great recipes through the years. Keep them coming please

Kathy N. — December 5, 2016 @ 9:36 pm

I calculated this using the nutritional values given and also by putting the ingredients in the recipe builder and got 10 Smart Points, not 8

Kathy N. — December 5, 2016 @ 9:48 pm

This is 10 Smart Points per serving.

Kim berridge — December 21, 2016 @ 4:27 pm

Way too much Italian seasoning. More tomatoe sauce and water didn’t even help.

shesim — January 4, 2017 @ 6:52 pm

Do you drain the diced tomatoes in the Goulash?

Thanks

Judy — January 8, 2017 @ 1:38 pm

If I substitute 80/20 ground chuck what would the sp be?

Judyj — January 8, 2017 @ 1:42 pm

Sorry to repeat but I messed up email address.
    If I substitute with 80/20 ground chuck what would the sp be?? Thank you

• Emily Bites replied: — January 8th, 2017 @ 2:44 pm

Hi Judy, I’m sorry but I only have the points calculated for the recipe as I wrote it. If you want to make changes to the recipe you can always run it through the WW recipe builder using the ingredients you choose. Enjoy!

Diane Herring — January 14, 2017 @ 11:56 am

My family absolutely loves this dish. It’s a regular in our house. My husband likes it a little meatier so I use 3lbs of hamburger instead of 2lbs. I also use tomato juice instead of water and I add sweet corn for my six year old daughter. I follow the spices as directed and I serve it with mashed potatoes. It’s fantastic dish to serve on a cold winter day. Thank you Emily for the recipe. It reminds me of my granny.

• Emily Bites replied: — January 30th, 2017 @ 12:06 pm

I’m so happy it’s a hit with the whole family! 🙂

Amy — January 19, 2017 @ 9:45 am

Can’t wait to make this – I re-built this in the WW app using Trader Joe’s 96% extra lean ground beef and whole wheat pasta (elbow) and it dropped down to 6 Smartpoints.

• Emily Bites replied: — January 30th, 2017 @ 11:51 am

I hope you love it!

Stephanie — January 24, 2017 @ 7:25 pm

I don’t have a Dutch oven would a big pot work instead? Thanks!

• Emily Bites replied: — January 30th, 2017 @ 11:38 am

Definitely!

Cindy — January 26, 2017 @ 8:18 pm

Do you cook the noodles then put them in the sauce

• Emily Bites replied: — January 30th, 2017 @ 11:10 am

Nope, they cook right in the pot!

Susan — January 31, 2017 @ 9:05 pm

I adapted this for the Instant Pot tonight, I had never made it before. It was AMAZING!!! Will definitely make it again!!

KathyL — February 13, 2017 @ 5:42 pm

OMG!! This looks delicious and reminds me of my childhood. Going on the meal plan for next week…..

Dee — February 15, 2017 @ 6:53 pm

Very good…I used the trader joes extra lean beef and put 80 calories of crushed tomato sauce.. I luv the serving size.

Kathy L — February 17, 2017 @ 4:41 pm

I actually came out with a little higher SP for 8 servings when I put everything into the recipe builder on WW app, but still a very hearty serving for 11SP. I would have never thought to use soy sauce in a tomato sauce recipe, but it really does deepen the flavors. Seemed a little salty to me, so may reduce the amount of season salt and use low sodium tomatoes next time. We had this with some steamed broccoli for dinner and it was so YUMMY!. So glad that I can have my childhood comfort foods on the WW plan. Thanks for the recipe.

Robin Dennehy — February 19, 2017 @ 4:16 pm

Great recipe. I heard about it on Kelley and Kim YouTube channel. I have to watch sodium intake so used no salt added tomato products and omitted seasoning salt. Tastes great and will be good leftovers for lunches.

Fran — February 19, 2017 @ 5:26 pm

Came out awesome! I could barely finish one cup…. very filling!

Terri T — March 1, 2017 @ 9:58 pm

I made this last night and it was so good. I made 1/2 the recipe and there was still a lot left over. Points value is great. Yours is the website with the recipes I have been searching for–good, regular food with a few tweaks so you can be healthy and successful with WW!!! I also made the Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Muffins and they are the perfect thing for breakfast–especially if you like oatmeal, but don’t like hot oatmeal. I have so many other recipes of yours that I plan to try so keep them coming. Very nice job! You are really good at this!!

Andee — March 5, 2017 @ 7:44 pm

Thank you for the recipe! Have you ever cut the recipe in half??? Just my husband and me, and he doesn’t eat meat. 🙂

Andrea Yacyshyn — March 12, 2017 @ 6:09 pm

Oh my goodness….. This is definitely a keeper. One of the best recipes so far. You feel like your eating more than 8sp…it will be a main dish in my house. Thanks

Debra — March 16, 2017 @ 7:22 pm

Your recipe sounds great and your pictures are gorgeous. I’m curious about the soy sauce. Seems out of place with all the Italian flavors. Can you tell me what using it adds to the flavor profile of the dish? In any case, I’ve pinned to my Recipes to Try Board. Thank you for sharing your recipe.

Debra — March 16, 2017 @ 7:22 pm

Lori — March 24, 2017 @ 9:24 pm

I made this recipe last week – it was the BOMB! I figured I’d like it, but I didn’t expect to be wowed by American Goulash…I was wrong. My sixteen year old daughter devoured two bowls of it and brought it to school for lunch the next day. Kudos for coming up with such a flavorful and satisfying lightened up dish!!