Beef Taco Soup
This Beef Taco Soup is a filling, flavorful and super satisfying one-pot meal. Rich and tasty with a little kick, this soup is packed with lean ground beef, sweet corn and hearty black beans. This soup is fantastic on its own, but you can also easily customize it with your favorite toppings like avocado, cilantro, shredded cheese, sour cream, green onions or crispy tortilla strips. A generous cup of the soup is just 253 calories or 5 Weight Watchers SmartPoints, saving you room for toppings, side dishes or dessert! I found this Beef Taco Soup reheats really well so it’s also perfect for lunches!
Since my Sausage and Tortellini Tomato Soup has quickly become one of my most popular recipes, I actually based this Beef Taco Soup off of that dish. You’ll notice the procedure is very similar, just with a taco twist! I hope you all will love it just as much. I do want to be clear that while the soup is topped with avocado in the photos (because it’s pettier and shows you an option for garnish), the avocado is not included in the nutrition info or points calculations below. If you want to make your own pretty avocado roses, it’s super easy! There are tons of tutorials online.
Looking for more tasty, hearty soup recipes? Check out my Sausage and Tortellini Tomato Soup, Butternut Squash Soup, Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup, Zuppa Toscana, Broccoli Cheddar Soup, Slow Cooker Beef and Barley Soup, Italian Wedding Soup, Cheeseburger Soup, Spaghetti and Meatball Soup, Buffalo Chicken Soup, Chicken Tortilla Soup and more in the soup section of my recipe index!
Beef Taco Soup
Yield: 8 (generous 1 cup) servings
- 1 ½ tablespoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- 2 ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ lbs (24 oz) raw 95% lean ground beef
- 3 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 ½ cups drained and rinsed canned black beans
- Optional: chopped cilantro for topping
Other optional toppings (not included in nutrition info or points calculations): avocado, shredded cheese, sour cream, tortilla strips or chips, sliced scallions, etc.
- Combine the chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, crushed red pepper, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper in a bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Pour the canola oil into a soup pot or Dutch oven and bring over medium-high heat. Add the onions and stir to coat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for a few minutes until the onions are softened. Add the minced garlic, stir together and cook for another 30-60 seconds. Add the ground beef and stir together. Cook, breaking the meat up into small pieces, until the beef is cooked through and fully broken up. Add the spice mixture from step 1 to the meat and stir to coat.
- Add the broth and crushed tomatoes, increase the heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Uncover the pot and add the cream cheese. Whisk the cream cheese in while simmering until the cheese is dissolved. Add the corn and black beans and stir together. Cover the pot and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
Weight Watchers SmartPoints:
5 per (generous 1 cup*) serving (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
6 per (generous 1 cup*) serving (PP calculated using a Weight Watchers PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition info below)
Nutrition Information per (generous 1 cup*) serving:
253 calories, 22 g carbs, 3 g sugars, 8 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 25 g protein, 6 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
*When I measured the finished soup I got 9 cups, so I made it into 8 servings at around 1 1/8 cups each
an Emily Bites Original