Strawberry Quinoa Salad
Let me tell you, this Strawberry Quinoa Salad is everything. I feel like I’m on a salad roll right now because I was obsessed with my recent Asian Sesame Chicken Salad, and now I am downright gushing over this Strawberry Quinoa Salad. It’s so fresh, bright, healthy and perfect for spring. Plus, it’s super easy and perfect for lunches – who doesn’t like that? I adapted this as a spring/summer version of my Butternut Squash Quinoa Salad (my husband’s favorite) and I like this version even better! Sweet strawberries, creamy goat cheese, fresh basil, peppery arugula, nutty toasted almonds, hearty quinoa and a bright, citrus dressing = pure perfection.
I love this Strawberry Quinoa Salad as a tasty vegetarian lunch option, but it would also make a great side dish. You could even easily double or triple it to bring to a summer potluck or picnic. It’s super flavorful and delicious for just 217 calories or 5 Weight Watchers SmartPoints per serving! To make this even easier, I totally recommend cooking the quinoa ahead of time. I tossed mine into our rice cooker on the white rice setting and it turned out perfect, so if you have a rice cooker that’s recommended!
Looking for more tasty lightened up salads? Check out my Asian Sesame Chicken Salad, Broccoli Salad, Roasted Beet Salad, Honey Mint Citrus Salad, Taco Chicken Salad, Avocado Bacon Corn Panzanella Salad, Antipasto Salad, Butternut Squash Quinoa Salad, Greek Orzo Pasta Salad, Harvest Apple Salad, Hummus Chicken Salad, Doritos Taco Salad, Buffalo Chicken Pasta Salad, Cheeseburger Salad, Avocado Chicken Salad, Chicken Souvlaki Salad and more in the Salad section of my recipe index!
Strawberries Quinoa Salad
Yield: 6 (1 cup) servings
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3 cups cooked quinoa, room temperature (I used a mixture of white and red)
- 1 lb sliced fresh strawberries
- 1-2 tablespoon(s) minced fresh basil
- 2 oz crumbled goat cheese
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- Place the sliced almonds in a small skillet and spread across the surface. Place over medium heat for a few minutes, stirring occasionally until almonds are toasted golden. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, orange juice, lemon juice, cider vinegar and honey and stir together until combined.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the quinoa, strawberries, basil, toasted almonds, goat cheese and arugula and stir until mixed. Pour the dressing from step two over the quinoa mixture and stir until the salad is evenly coated with the dressing. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Weight Watchers SmartPoints:
5 per (1 cup) serving (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
6 per (1 cup) serving (PP calculated using a Weight Watchers PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition information below)
Nutrition Information per (1 cup) serving:
217 calories, 28 g carbs, 6 g sugars, 9 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 7 g protein, 5 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
an Emily Bites Original