Sep 27

Bubble Up Chicken Alfredo Bake

Bubble Up Chicken Alfredo Bake

This Bubble Up Chicken Alfredo Bake is the comfort food casserole your whole family will crave this fall and winter. Full of hearty chicken breast, healthy broccoli, tasty biscuits and smothered in cheese and creamy alfredo sauce, what’s not to love? This casserole is simple and easy to make, perfect for a weeknight dinner. I like to make a big batch of shredded chicken in my slow cooker at the beginning of the week and use it in different recipes and this one is a perfect meal for it! For details, check out my Easy Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken recipe here. Not only is this recipe easy, a big serving of this Bubble Up Chicken Alfredo Bake is just 286 calories or 6 Weight Watchers SmartPoints.

Bubble Up Chicken Alfredo Bake

Looking for more easy, lightened up comfort food casseroles like this Bubble Up Chicken Alfredo Bake? Check out my Cottage Pie, Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Potato Bake, Layered Chicken Enchilada Bake, Chili Cornbread Bake, Teriyaki Chicken and Rice Casserole, Bubble Up Chicken Pot Pie Casserole, Chicken Parmesan Quinoa Bake, Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole, Bubble Up Pizza Casserole, Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Bake, Sausage and Stuffing Brunch Bake, Deep Dish Sloppy Joe Casserole, Bubble Up Enchilada Casserole and many more in the casserole section of my recipe index!

Bubble Up Chicken Alfredo Bake

Yield: 6 servings

• 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
  • 12 oz cooked, shredded or chopped chicken breast
  • 15 oz jar light alfredo sauce (I use Classico Light Alfredo)
  • 2 tablespoons low sodium chicken broth or water
  • ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 (7.5 oz) can of refrigerated biscuit dough, biscuits cut into quarters (I used Wegmans brand, but Pillsbury also makes them – if you can only find Grands, weigh out 7.5 ounces and cut them into small bite-sized pieces)
  • 4 oz (1 cup) 2% shredded Mozzarella cheese

1. Pre-heat the oven to 350. Lightly mist a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
  2. *Place the broccoli florets in a microwave-safe bowl and cover the bowl with a damp paper towel. Microwave for 2 minutes on high. (*You can otherwise steam the broccoli florets if preferred)
  3. Place the chicken, broccoli, alfredo sauce, broth, Italian seasoning and pepper in the baking dish and stir together until combined. Add the biscuit pieces and stir in to coat. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the Mozzarella cheese over the top. Return to the oven for another 15 minutes until the casserole is hot and the biscuits have bubbled up. Slice into 6 pieces and serve!

Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints:
6 per serving (SP calculated using the recipe builder on, a serving was 8 SP on the previous program

Weight Watchers PointsPlus:
8 per serving (PP calculated using a PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition info below)

286 calories, 26 g carbs, 4 g sugar, 9 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 27 g protein, 1 g fiber (from

an Emily Bites Original

30 Responses to “Bubble Up Chicken Alfredo Bake”

Lisa — September 27, 2017 @ 11:06 am

This looks amazing! Thank you!

Sarah — September 27, 2017 @ 9:02 pm

Can you use frozen broccoli? This looks amazing!

• Emily Bites replied: — September 27th, 2017 @ 9:05 pm

I have not made this using frozen broccoli, but you can certainly give it a try!

casey — September 28, 2017 @ 10:32 am

Totes making this!! If its half as good as your Swedish meatball bubble up we are in for treat!

Erin — September 28, 2017 @ 10:36 am

So yummy. My kids loved it. I loved it. I love broccoli and definitely added more than 2 cups. 🙂

Marie — September 30, 2017 @ 4:02 pm

I made this dish last night and it came out great! I used broccoli from a “steamable” bag and it totally worked. I also added mushrooms to bulk more veggies. Thank you for your awesome recipes!

Lori — October 1, 2017 @ 6:56 pm

Made this for my family tonight. Delicious and so easy.

Sara — October 16, 2017 @ 9:01 pm

Can you freeze bubble up recipes?

• Emily Bites replied: — October 18th, 2017 @ 4:00 pm

Hi Sara, I really don’t freeze anything so I am not the best at answering this question. I’m sorry! If you try it out please report back!

Debbie — October 28, 2017 @ 7:42 pm

This dish is delicious!!! I used spinach in place of the broccoli and it was a hit with my family.

Alisha — November 2, 2017 @ 11:56 pm

Made this for dinner tonight – SO DELICIOUS! I can’t wait to have it again for lunch tomorrow!

Sarah — November 8, 2017 @ 9:15 am

Absolute deliciousness! Hard to believe I can be following Weight Watchers and still enjoy such comfort food. I’m going to add even more broccoli next time. Thanks, Emily!

rebecca — November 21, 2017 @ 4:42 pm

I love these bubble up casseroles but I always seem to have a problem getting the biscuits to cook (particularly the ones in the middle). Any thoughts on why that may be occuring?

• Emily Bites replied: — November 21st, 2017 @ 4:51 pm

I’ve honestly never had that happen! Maybe your oven cooks at a lower temperature? I guess in your case you’ll just know that you have to cook it for a bit longer. Sorry about that!

J'annelle — December 28, 2017 @ 5:58 pm

Thanks for the great recipe! This was delicious!

Charlene — January 6, 2018 @ 11:09 am

When I type this into the WW app it comes out to 10 points per serving. Are you using different ingredients to calculate? I’ve included a screenshot of what I put into WW here 🙂

• Emily Bites replied: — January 8th, 2018 @ 10:16 am

Hi Charlene,
      I noticed you used a generic listing for alfredo sauce rather than the light alfredo sauce specified in the recipe. That could make a huge difference! Different brands of products can also have different nutrition info and can vary the points. My calculations are made using the exact brands and products I used, so if you use different ones (for example a different brand of biscuits or regular alfredo sauce rather than light Classico) the points may vary. Hope that helps!

Jill — January 9, 2018 @ 10:36 am

Do you need to cook the chicken first?

• Emily Bites replied: — January 9th, 2018 @ 11:06 am

Yup, the ingredients specify cooked chicken!

Hannah — January 14, 2018 @ 4:17 pm

I can’t find this in myfitnesspal, I’ve searched for 10m… I see something similar for 499 calories but the protein/carb/fat ratio + calories is wrong 🙁 can you add this?

Hannah — January 14, 2018 @ 4:29 pm

Never mind I just added it myself!

Mikal B — January 15, 2018 @ 7:26 pm

Made this tonight and it was a HIT with the entire family! So easy to make too! Keep up the great work Emily!

Lauren — January 24, 2018 @ 8:44 am

I made this last night and it was amazing!! I used frozen broccoli, but I left it on the counter for about a half hour before adding it to the casserole. Can’t wait to make more bubble ups!

Michelle T — January 29, 2018 @ 1:58 pm

This looks amazing, going to make this tonight. One question, the recipe calls for 4 oz (1 cup) of mozzarella cheese. Isn’t 8 oz 1 cup? Just want to make sure I am using the right measurements. Thanks!

• Emily Bites replied: — January 29th, 2018 @ 2:00 pm

Ounces can either be a volume measurement or a weight measurement. 8 oz by volume = 1 cup but 4 oz of shredded cheese by weight is about 1 cup. 🙂

Mona Smith — February 4, 2018 @ 12:24 pm

Can you make this up the day before cooking it? Maybe everything but the biscuits? Thanks and looks delicious!

Jess — February 9, 2018 @ 9:09 pm

This was absolutely delicious!! As you suggested, I substituted 7.5 oz of Grand Biscuits because i couldn’t find the other kind. Unfortunately, it came out to be 8 points a serving in the recipe builder on the WW app.

Avygk2000 — February 15, 2018 @ 6:36 pm

I have calculated this several times using the same sauce but only using 6 ounces of Pillsbury grand juniors and gotten 7 points each time. Additionally the 13×9 pan is much too large. I used an 8×8. It was good but not very filling. I would add more broccoli or other vegetables

Lauren — March 19, 2018 @ 8:44 pm

This is my fourth time trying a different recipe and I can’t decide which is my favorite. Everything has been absolutely delicious. I used a 9×13 pan, added mushrooms, and even added extra chicken, but it still came out a little soupier than I’d like. Do you have any suggestions? Can’t wait to try it again! 🙂

Jennifer Travis — March 22, 2018 @ 1:57 pm

Has anyone attempted this with the WW two-ingredient dough? It would make it less points, but I’m afraid to try.