Oct 13

Chicken Pot Pasta

Chicken Pot Pasta

This creamy Chicken Pot Pasta is perfect, one-pot comfort food. My husband even said I should make it for his family at his grandma’s house sometime (which is a big deal). If you love the creamy sauce and hearty chicken and vegetables from a pot pie then I know you’re going to love it as a pasta. An easy, one-pot meal with tons of flavor and maximum comfort creaminess – what’s not to love? Plus it’s just 314 calories or 5 Weight Watchers SmartPoints per serving, and no one will ever guess it’s light.

Chicken Pot Pasta

Since my husband said multiple times how much he loved this one, I’m glad it’s so easy to make and that it uses ingredients we almost always have on hand. I also often have cooked chicken in the fridge, so if you’re like me feel free to skip the first step of the recipe and just use about a pound of your pre-cooked chicken. Even easier! I’ve also recently become excited about Better than Bouillon (not sponsored, I just started using it and I think it tastes really good) so I used it with water in place of chicken broth. If you prefer broth or have it on hand, feel free to use that instead (or regular bouillon if that’s what you have). This recipe is also flexible in that you can change up the veggies based on your family’s tastes as well. Feel free to tweak this based on what you have in your fridge and pantry.

Chicken Pot Pasta

Looking for more lightened up pasta options? Check out the pasta section of my recipe index for favorites like Italian Wedding Pasta, Pizza Lasagna Roll-Ups, Sausage Ricotta Pasta, Lemon Chicken Orzo, Chicken Pesto Parmesan Pasta Skillet, Beef Stroganoff, Beefy American GoulashSlow Cooker Kickin’ Chicken PastaBeef and Sausage ManicottiPumpkin Alfredo Tortellini SkilletSpinach and Artichoke Lasagna Roll UpsChicken Cordon Bleu Pasta BakeTomato Soup Mac & CheeseSpaghetti PieSausage Tortellini SkilletBuffalo Chicken Lasagna Roll UpsChicken Parmesan Stuffed ShellsSpicy Sausage Pasta and many more!

Chicken Pot Pasta

Yield: 8 (1 1/4 cups) servings

• 1 ½ lbs uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 4 tablespoons light butter (I use Land O’Lakes)
  • ½ cup chopped onion
  • ¼ cup flour
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 ½ cups skim milk
  • 2 ½ cups water*
  • 1 tablespoon Better Than Bouillon Roasted Chicken Base*
  • ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning (found in the spice section)
  • 8 oz uncooked egg noodles
  • 1 cup frozen corn kernels
  • 2 cups frozen peas and carrots

*I’ve recently become a big fan of Better than Bouillon because the flavor is awesome and it’s easy and inexpensive to use with water, but you can definitely substitute 2 ½ cups of chicken broth for the water and BTB base.

1. *Place the chicken breasts in a Dutch oven or other large pot and cover with water to about 2 inches over the chicken. Bring the water to a boil over high heat and then reduce the heat to medium. Cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes (depending on the thickness of your chicken breasts – mine are generally done at 15, so check one then) until chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken breasts to a cutting board. Discard the water from the pot and rinse and wipe out the pot to use again. Chop the chicken into small, bite-size pieces and set aside.
  2. Melt the butter in the pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook for a few minutes until the onion is softened.
  3. Whisk in the flour, salt and pepper until combined with the butter and onions and continue to whisk for another 1-2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk until combined and smooth. Add the water and bouillon base (or broth) and poultry seasoning and whisk in to combine.
  4. Increase the heat to med-high and stir occasionally until boiling. Reduce the heat to med-low and add the egg noodles. Cook for 8 minutes, stirring regularly to prevent sticking. If you need a little more liquid toward the end you can add a bit more water or broth.
  5. Add the chopped chicken, corn, and peas and carrots and stir until thoroughly combined. Cook for another few minutes until all ingredients are heated through.

*If you already have cooked chicken breasts on hand you can skip this step and use a pound of cooked chicken

Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints:
5 per (1 ¼ cup) serving (SPs calculated using the recipe builder on, a serving was 8 SPs on the previous program

8 per (1 ¼ cup) serving (PP calculated using a WW PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition info below)

Nutrition Information per (1 ¼ cup) serving:
314 calories, 35 g carbs, 3 g sugars, 7 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 27 g protein, 3 g fiber (from

an Emily Bites Original

48 Responses to “Chicken Pot Pasta”

Lindsey Dorschug — October 13, 2017 @ 12:57 pm

Im terms of WW smart points, will this be the the same with broth vs water and chicken base?

• Emily Bites replied: — October 18th, 2017 @ 4:07 pm

Yup! I usually use the reduced sodium fat free broth and that works out to be exactly the same 🙂

Christine SantoColombo — October 14, 2017 @ 3:37 am

Does this freeze well?

• Emily Bites replied: — October 18th, 2017 @ 4:07 pm

I don’t freeze anything, so sadly I am horrible at answering this question. I’m sorry! If you try it out, please report back!

Brandi — October 15, 2017 @ 6:33 pm

Made this tonight and it’s so yummy! Even my 3 year old ate it. Thank you!

• Emily Bites replied: — October 18th, 2017 @ 4:01 pm

Woohoo! I love when the recipes are a hit with the kiddos. 🙂

Paula — October 15, 2017 @ 7:14 pm

Made this tonight and I really enjoyed it. Didn’t have the poultry seasoning and it still tasted great! Another fab recipe!

• Emily Bites replied: — October 18th, 2017 @ 4:01 pm

Yay! I’m glad it was a hit!

Michelle K — October 16, 2017 @ 9:22 pm

Wow this is really good!! I’ve been making your recipes regularly for about 3 years and this is hands down one of my favorites! I used water and a regular bullion cube and it came out perfect. great flavor. Thanks so much for sharing your creative recipes!

• Emily Bites replied: — October 18th, 2017 @ 4:00 pm

I’m so happy you loved it!

Lisa — October 18, 2017 @ 9:19 pm

Regular egg noodles or no yolk? I’m going to use leftover turkey for this recipe, it sounds delicious!

• Emily Bites replied: — October 18th, 2017 @ 11:00 pm

I used regular but you can feel free to use no yolk if that’s what you have

Blair Kreiger — October 19, 2017 @ 6:33 pm

Very tasty! Personally, we thought it would be better with a bit more spice/flavor, but love the concept of pot pie pasta and fairly easy to make!

Angela — October 23, 2017 @ 9:09 pm

This was DELICIOUS!!!!!! Thank you!!!!

Mia — October 25, 2017 @ 4:08 pm

do you think this would work with almond milk?

• Emily Bites replied: — October 25th, 2017 @ 4:10 pm

I have never cooked with almond milk personally but I saw someone made it with cashew milk on Instagram and they said it turned out great so I’m guessing the answer is yes!

Megan — October 28, 2017 @ 5:25 pm

Made this recipe a few nights ago, and it was AH-MAZING!! Easily one of my new favorites now! Thanks for sharing Emily!

• Emily Bites replied: — October 31st, 2017 @ 1:10 pm

I’m so thrilled it was a hit!

Jenn — November 9, 2017 @ 2:02 pm

Thank you for a FANTASTIC recipe! Love one pot meals this was very easy and delicious! Took the leftovers twice this week reheated beautifully. Can’t wait to make this again!

Nicole — November 15, 2017 @ 9:31 pm

Made this for dinner and it was outstanding!

jasa layanan kebersihan — November 28, 2017 @ 1:56 am

hmm yummy

lisa — December 4, 2017 @ 9:00 am

I made this last night. It was really good. Taste just like a pot pie. Husband liked as well! I added mushrooms. Will be making again!

Julie — December 5, 2017 @ 7:14 pm

Maybe I overlooked it but how much chicken broth should be used?

• Emily Bites replied: — December 5th, 2017 @ 7:17 pm

If you are using broth instead of the water and bouillon then you just replace the water with the same amount of broth 🙂

Katie — December 9, 2017 @ 10:12 am

We have an egg allergy in our house – has anyone calculated this with regular pasta?

Kimberly Hesdra — December 9, 2017 @ 2:02 pm

Hi, I entered this recipe into my weight watchers recipe builder and I got 6 smart points instead of 5. Did you put anything in specifically?

Kay — December 12, 2017 @ 8:58 pm

I wonder if you could use tuna instead of chicken and if you could how much tuna should you use. Kinda like a tuna noodle casserole.

Sally — December 27, 2017 @ 6:40 pm

I made this for dinner tonight and it is every bit as delicious as it looks. Real comfort food! Thank you! I will be freezing extra portions and will let you know how that goes.

Amanda — January 3, 2018 @ 3:08 pm

Made this for my lunches and absolutely LOVED it!!! Keep up the good work!

Laura B — January 4, 2018 @ 12:53 am

Hi Emily. I’ve been on WW for two months now and just made this. I CANNOT believe this is only 5 SP. It is awesome!! I am huge on comfort food, so was THRILLED to find your website. You are going to help me through this!! Thank you so much!! Can’t wait to try another recipe.

• Emily Bites replied: — January 8th, 2018 @ 10:20 am

I’m so happy you loved this one! Let me know what else you try 🙂

Eileen — January 4, 2018 @ 6:30 pm

Hi Emily, I really enjoy your recipes and site. Made this tonight and it’s really good. Because of you, I found and use Better than Boullion regularly instead of canned broth. One thing is that it could use a little more flavor. I had to use more water when cooking the noodles and maybe that diluted some of the flavor from BTB? I don’t know, but good recipe overall!

• Emily Bites replied: — January 8th, 2018 @ 10:18 am

I’m glad you liked it, Eileen! If you add more water you may want to add more BTB to compensate. I hope that helps. Thanks for the comment!

Victoria — January 9, 2018 @ 7:41 pm

Hi Emily, Thank you for this wonderful dish. Made this tonight and was pleasantly surprised. I was hesitant in respect to how the noodles cooked but it was perfect. The starch from the noodles added a cheese like texture without the cheese. My husband said this was a keeper !

Angela — January 11, 2018 @ 7:46 pm

Made this tonight. Huge hit with my family. Add a bit more salt & black pepper. Easy & Delicious!

KateL — January 12, 2018 @ 12:20 pm

I’m a BTB user too and always have the jars in my fridge. This dish cooked up nicely. I’ve never ‘boiled’ chicken to cook it before so I wasn’t sure how that would turn out but my concerns were unfounded and it’s a great low fat method which I will probably use again to prepare some cooked chicken for a recipe. I used whole-wheat no yolk noodles and they were good in the recipe. Made the recipe for my teenager and me and had yummy leftovers for several lunches. Love those leftovers…..

• Emily Bites replied: — January 16th, 2018 @ 2:13 pm

So glad it was a hit! 🙂

LeAnn Bannon — January 16, 2018 @ 6:41 pm

When I went to track this on weight watchers, I used the recipe builder and one serving came out to be three points not five, which seems too good to be true. Anyone else have this problem?

Virginia — January 16, 2018 @ 7:10 pm

Enjoyed this recipe for dinner this evening. I had to use what I had on hand which included regular butter instead of light, 1% milk instead of skim, and Farfalle pasta instead of egg noodles. I also used chicken broth instead of water and about 16 oz. of shredded cooked chicken. I used the recipe builder in the iTrackBites App and computed points following the new WW Freestyle method. Basing the recipe on eight servings, I came up with 7 points per serving. My points came from the butter, flour, onion, 1% milk, and pasta. The only problem I found was limiting myself to one serving!

Kim — January 16, 2018 @ 7:13 pm

Could this be cooked in an instant pot? If so, how?

• Emily Bites replied: — January 16th, 2018 @ 7:14 pm

Probably? I have not tried that method so I can’t provide directions. Feel free to report back if you figure it out!

Kim — January 17, 2018 @ 5:54 am

Love, love, LOVE this dish! You would swear there is cheese in it. So yummy and filling. I ran it through the recipe builder as you said and came up with 6 SmartPoints a serving. Not sure why the difference, unless my light butter is mote?

• Emily Bites replied: — January 17th, 2018 @ 2:21 pm

Your light butter may be more! It’s hard for me to say without looking at it but I know the Land O’Lakes kind I use is lower than the generic listing for light butter in the tracker.

Audra Marie — February 10, 2018 @ 6:46 pm

Made this in the instant pot. Cooked chicken breast for 8 mins. Removed. Sauted onions and butter, added next ingredients. Put chicken and veggies in, added the noodles, set to manual for 7 minutes. Came out perfectly! Thanks so much for a family favorite!

Bryn — February 22, 2018 @ 11:39 pm

This was really great! Totally filled the comfort food craving without the guilt. I made it in the Instant Pot (8qt). After adding the noodles, I cooked at HP for 3 minutes with a QR and the noodles were cooked just right. Then I added the frozen veggies and chicken and cooked just a bit more on saute mode to warm it back up. Will definitely be making it again!

Rose — February 25, 2018 @ 9:58 am

Hello!! I loooooove this recipe! However I noticed in my recipe tracker it came up as 8 points for the same serving size. Just curious how you got 5 pounts?

• Emily Bites replied: — February 25th, 2018 @ 10:00 am

Hi Rose, I simply ran the ingredients I stated through the recipe builder on the Weight Watchers website to get 5. If you are trying to calculate it using the nutrition information that does not work for recipes as zero point foods still have calories etc. Hope that helps!

Karen — March 8, 2018 @ 3:02 pm

Made this tonight and I have to say I am NOT a fan of this dish. My husband said the after taste tasted like dirt. I think it was the poultry seasoning that made it taste like dirt. If I make this again, I will use less poultry seasoning or leave it out all together.