Fiesta Stuffed Chicken
If you’re looking for an easy way to make chicken breasts tasty and exciting, this Fiesta Stuffed Chicken is for you! These breasts are stuffed with cheese, corn, black beans, garlic and tomatoes and coated in taco seasoning and crunchy panko breadcrumbs for a flavor explosion your whole family will love. Perfect for a fresh take on Taco Tuesday, Fiesta Friday or any weeknight dinner, this Fiesta Stuffed Chicken makes a perfect meal. I like to serve it with a side of refried beans and some avocado, but it would also be great with a salad. I literally want to eat this every week, it’s so good. Better still, a big, satisfying serving of this chicken with all your favorite flavors is just 368 calories or 4 Weight Watchers SmartPoints!
Looking for more ways to make your chicken breasts delicious? Try my Cream Cheese Stuffed Everything Chicken, Pimento Cheese Stuffed Chicken, Mediterranean Topped Grilled Chicken, Cheesy Bacon BBQ Chicken, Chicken Cordon Bleu, Baked Chicken Tenders, Bruschetta Topped Balsamic Chicken, Pesto Chicken Roulades, Lemon Pepper Iced Tea Chicken, Cheesy Chicken and Stuffing, Pizza Chicken Roulades, Thai Chicken Skewers, Chicken Piccata, Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken and many, many more in the Chicken section of my recipe index!
Fiesta Stuffed Chicken
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 ½ teaspoons canola oil, divided
- ¼ cup frozen corn kernels
- ¼ cup drained and rinsed canned black beans
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup diced tomatoes
- 1 lime wedge
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon taco seasoning, divided
- 4 (6 oz each) boneless, skinless chicken breasts (24 oz total)
- 2 oz 50% reduced fat sharp cheddar, shredded
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 2/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- Pre-heat the oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Bring ½ teaspoon of the canola oil over medium heat in a small skillet. Add the black beans and corn and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and tomatoes and cook for another minute. Squeeze the lime wedge over the top and stir in 1 teaspoon of the taco seasoning. Remove from heat.
- Place the chicken breasts on a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, slice the breasts from the side (creating a top and bottom) almost all the way through. Open each breast at the slit. Sprinkle ½ ounce of the shredded cheddar across the surface of one side of each open breast and top it with 2 ½ tablespoons of the corn/black bean mixture. When all four breasts are topped on one side, fold the empty half over the filling to make a stuffed breast. I used a couple toothpicks in each breast to hold the two sides closed over the filling at the seam.
- Combine the flour and remaining tablespoon of the taco seasoning in a small dish and stir together. Place the stuffed breasts in a Ziploc bag and add the taco flour mixture (you may want to do this in batches). Lightly flip the bag around until chicken is coated with flour. Place the beaten egg white in a shallow dish and the panko crumbs in a second shallow dish. Remove each stuffed breast from the flour bag and dip it in the egg white, turning to coat. Then move the coated breast to the dish of panko crumbs and coat it on all sides.
- In a large skillet, add the oil and bring over medium-high heat. Add the stuffed and coated chicken breasts to the pan and cook for about 1-2 minute(s) until the bread crumbs on the bottom are golden. Flip the breasts and cook for another minute on the other side. Transfer the breasts to the prepared baking sheet and place in the pre-heated oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes until chicken is fully cooked through.
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints:
4 per serving (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com), a serving was 8 SPs on the previous program
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
9 per serving (PP calculated using the a Weight Watchers PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition info below)
368 calories, 17 g carbs, 2 g sugars, 12 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 45 g protein, 2 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
an Emily Bites Original