Jan 11

Bubble Up BBQ Chicken and Beans Bake

Bubble Up BBQ Chicken and Beans Bake

Wow, this Bubble Up BBQ Chicken and Beans Bake is everything. I figured I would like this but I was not prepared for how good it actually tastes. SO good. I wanted to do another bubble up casserole since they’re so popular, and I liked the idea of trying to combine the flavors of barbecue chicken and baked beans. The finished product is filling, flavorful and easy to make – I’m really excited for y’all to try it and love it too! I mean, chicken, bacon, cheese, beans, barbecue sauce, fluffy biscuits…what’s not to love? Plus a serving of this Bubble Up BBQ Chicken and Beans Bake is just 375 calories or 6 Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints!

Bubble Up BBQ Chicken and Beans Bake

Just a note, the nutrition facts for barbecue sauces can vary dramatically, so the barbecue sauce you use can affect the calories or Weight Watchers points for this recipe. I used Stubbs Original which only has 6 grams of carbs and 4 grams of sugar per 2 tablespoon serving. Plus, it’s delicious. If you want the nutrition information to stay about the same I recommend looking for a sauce that is similarly lower in carbs – it can make a big difference!

You can use leftover chicken breast or rotisserie breast for this recipe, but my favorite way to make shredded chicken to use in recipes is this super simple slow cooker method.

Bubble Up BBQ Chicken and Beans Bake

Looking for more easy, lightened up comfort food casseroles like this Bubble Up BBQ Chicken and Beans Bake? Check out my Meat and Potatoes BakeBubble Up Chicken Alfredo Bake, Cottage Pie, Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Potato Bake, Layered Chicken Enchilada Bake, Chili Cornbread Bake, Teriyaki Chicken and Rice Casserole, Bubble Up Chicken Pot Pie Casserole, Chicken Parmesan Quinoa Bake, Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole, Bubble Up Pizza Casserole, Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Bake, Sausage and Stuffing Brunch Bake, Deep Dish Sloppy Joe Casserole, Bubble Up Enchilada Casserole and many more in the casserole section of my recipe index!

Bubble Up BBQ Chicken and Beans Bake

Yield: 6 servings

• 4 slices center cut bacon
  • 12 oz cooked, shredded or chopped skinless chicken breast
  • 15.5 oz can of navy beans (or white beans, boston beans), drained and rinsed
  • 1 cup barbecue sauce (I use Stubbs Original and highly recommend it)
  • 8 oz can tomato sauce
  • 1 (7.5 oz) can of refrigerated biscuit dough, biscuits cut into quarters (I used Wegmans brand, but Pillsbury also makes them – if you can only find Grands, weigh out 7.5 ounces and cut them into small bite-sized pieces)
  • 4 oz (1 cup) 50% reduced fat shredded Cheddar cheese

1. Pre-heat the oven to 350. Lightly mist a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
  2. Cook the bacon according to package directions until crisp and set on paper towels to dry. Chop into smaller pieces.
  3. Place the chicken, beans, barbecue sauce, tomato sauce and chopped bacon in the baking dish and stir together until combined. Add the biscuit pieces and stir in to coat. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the top. Return to the oven for another 15 minutes until the casserole is hot and the biscuits have bubbled up. Slice into 6 pieces and serve.

Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints:
6 per serving (SP calculated using the recipe builder on

Weight Watchers PointsPlus:
9 per serving (PP calculated using a PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition info below)

375 calories, 45 g carbs, 11 g sugar, 7 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 33 g protein, 4 g fiber (from

an Emily Bites Original

50 Responses to “Bubble Up BBQ Chicken and Beans Bake”

Lisa — January 11, 2018 @ 8:34 am

Wow! Yep, this is going on my meal plan for next week! I even have Stubbs in my fridge!

• Emily Bites replied: — January 11th, 2018 @ 10:38 am

It was meant to be! 🙂

Kim — January 11, 2018 @ 8:49 pm

I am going to make this tonight! It looks delish. One question, should the dish be covered when it goes into the oven the first time?
    Thank you!

• Emily Bites replied: — January 11th, 2018 @ 8:51 pm

I never cover it!

Paula Lindell — January 13, 2018 @ 10:41 am

I’m going to make it this week. Looks like it might freeze ok too!
    Thank you so much for your recipes. It has changed the way I cook on my weight watchers journey.

• Emily Bites replied: — January 16th, 2018 @ 2:12 pm

Laura — January 14, 2018 @ 4:40 pm

My parents are in town this weekend and we all loved this!

Margaret — January 14, 2018 @ 7:51 pm

Made this tonight and it was so delicious! Thanks!!

Leigh Daugherty — January 14, 2018 @ 9:25 pm

How do I sign up to receive your blog via e mail?

• Emily Bites replied: — January 16th, 2018 @ 2:09 pm

You can sign up for my email list by following this link and entering your preferred email: You’ll receive an auto-generated email with a link to click to confirm your subscription. Thanks for following! 🙂

Lisa — January 15, 2018 @ 7:58 am

Returning to say that I made this and it was a huge hit! It was delicious, filling, and very easy to throw together. It tastes decadent, but it’s still healthy! Thank you, Emily, this one is going to be a staple in my house.

• Emily Bites replied: — January 16th, 2018 @ 2:09 pm

I’m so happy it was a hit!

Emily — January 15, 2018 @ 6:53 pm

Hi! I made this tonight and it was delish, but when I created the recipe in the recipe builder, it came to 9 freestyle pts. And I used turkey bacon :). Happy to send you screen shots if you like.

• Emily Bites replied: — January 16th, 2018 @ 2:07 pm

You’re welcome to do so. My calculations are correct using the brands and ingredients I listed. Yours may change if you used different quantities or brands.

Laura — January 16, 2018 @ 1:12 am

I recently rejoined Weight Watchers and looking for tasty recipes. This will be made for sure. Wanted to let you know about a bbq sauce I use called Carolina Treet sauce. No sugar added and is delicious. I can get it easily in NC stores, not sure about other areas, but it’s sold online as well.

• Emily Bites replied: — January 16th, 2018 @ 2:04 pm

I’ve never heard of it but I’ll keep my eyes peeled! I love me some Stubbs but I’m open to trying others. Thanks Laura! I hope you love this one 🙂

Dana — January 16, 2018 @ 11:14 pm

Entire family loved this! Leftover portion for lunch today….was still full at dinner. Used the GH Hughes sugar free BBQ sauce and 1/6 came to 5 points

Melissa — January 17, 2018 @ 8:40 pm

I literally have all the ingredients at home except the bacon!! How necessary is it ? It’s about 6 degrees here in Michigan and I hate to run up to the store !

• Emily Bites replied: — January 17th, 2018 @ 8:55 pm

Girl, I feel you, I’m in Buffalo! You can make it without the bacon and it will still be super tasty. Bacon just takes it to the next level because everything is better with bacon!

susayej — January 18, 2018 @ 5:35 pm

This was fantastic! Thank you!

Ally Evans — January 18, 2018 @ 9:53 pm

Is the serving size for a cup?

JILL JOY — January 20, 2018 @ 8:57 am

I made this recipe this week and my family loved it!!

Vicky — January 20, 2018 @ 11:44 am

So easy to make and tasted so good! My husband and almost two year old loved it too.

Lauren — January 21, 2018 @ 9:37 pm

Made this for dinner tonight. My fiance said “THIS IS SO GOOD” about 4 times while we were eating…so I think it’s a winner in our house!

Kim Montgomery — January 23, 2018 @ 2:49 pm

Hi Emily – we are HUGE fans of your bubble up casseroles and made this last night. It was a big hit! I had done the chicken breasts in the slow cooker with your method so just got them out of the freezer the night before and we were good to go. Super tasty and easy. Thanks for all your recipes – I use several of them all the time!

Jennifer — January 23, 2018 @ 7:44 pm

I’ve never bought navy beans before and when I was shopping for this recipe all I found were navy beans in a bag. Do I need to cook them before putting them in the casserole dish?

• Emily Bites replied: — January 23rd, 2018 @ 7:46 pm

I have only ever used canned, so I can’t provide instructions from experience but I would suggest cooking them first. Definitely don’t put them in dry!

Ronnie Crowley — January 23, 2018 @ 10:40 pm

Made this and it’s a keeper. Really tasty and was great for lunch the next day as well.

Rae — January 23, 2018 @ 10:44 pm

Your recipes are usually wonderful but this recipe was a miss. I’m not sure what it was but the entire family was not a fan! The chicken and bbq was good but the bacon got lost and the beans and biscuits just didn’t seem to work!
    Love your site and your recipes but this one not so much!

Toni — January 26, 2018 @ 10:00 am

To Jennifer: all canned beans will most likely be found near the pork & beans, or even the soup aisle of your store.

Susan — January 30, 2018 @ 9:04 am

I calculated your exact ingredients and got 10 points not 6. You should list your brand s if you want us to know the correct points otherwise it’s very misleading becauseyou said it’s only 6 points with your brands

• Emily Bites replied: — January 30th, 2018 @ 9:31 am

But I did list the brands I used…? I linked to the exact store brand Wegmans biscuits and the Stubbs BBQ sauce. I used Cabot 50% sharp cheddar and Wegmans center cut bacon. Those are the four ingredients that have points in this recipe and like I said, using those ingredients it comes to 6 SP per serving on Freestyle.

I supply the points I calculate as a helpful courtesy/guideline but of course if you use different brands or ingredients you may get different results. There’s no way for me to predict what the points will be with every different brand so I calculate with what I use and list the brands when it seems important. I honestly don’t know how you’d get 10 SP per serving but all I can tell you is that mine was 6 SP per serving. It’s obviously not my intent to be misleading, I’m just telling you what I got when I calculated it. I’m sorry you got different results and are angry but there’s really no way for me to calculate what differences every single brand will make. Often I find when people are getting drastic differences it’s because they entered something wrong (which I can’t tell from reading your comment) such as a can of Grands biscuits instead of the 7.5 oz size or regular bacon instead of center cut, other cheese that wasn’t 50% reduced fat, etc.

Gayln Soderstrom — January 31, 2018 @ 6:03 pm

I’m only cook g for 2. Can I freeze half of this? Should I freee it before or after baking?

• Emily Bites replied: — January 31st, 2018 @ 6:07 pm

I’ve never frozen this ( I honestly never freeze anything) so I can’t provide direction from experience but if you try to freeze it please report back?

Jenn — February 1, 2018 @ 11:27 am

Made this and used G.L. Hughes bbq sauce (found at wal-mart and can be ordered on amazon) which is 0 points. Obesssed!!!!!!!!!! I have made this 3 weeks in a row and all I can think of when I make this is SUMMER!!!!!! Insanely wonderful!!! I have used/made your recipes for 2 years and never have I made anything that I don’t love! Thanks for sharing!!!!

Jen — February 1, 2018 @ 2:42 pm

I’ve never made one of the bubble ups. I have this on my list for February recipes. I was thinking about using the 2 ingredient dough. I’ve never made it either. I was just wondering if you knew how the 1 cup flour/1 cup of yogurt dough recipe translated to the 7.5 oz tube of biscuits.

• Emily Bites replied: — February 1st, 2018 @ 7:25 pm

I’m sorry, I don’t have any experience using 2 ingredient dough in this recipe. If you try it out, report back and let us know how it worked out!

jenny — February 3, 2018 @ 11:59 am

I am new to WW and found your site and LOVE it! Made a few recipes including this Bubble Up. I used all the brands listed and needed to create a food to track it. I came up with 10 Freestyle points as well. This was using the nutritional facts at the end of the recipe.
    I would love for it to be 6 points, but I am confused.

• Emily Bites replied: — February 3rd, 2018 @ 12:10 pm

Hi Jenny,
      You can’t use the nutritional information to determine the points because it does not account for the zero point foods like the recipe Builder does. To calculate the points for recipes it’s best to use the recipe Builder on the Weight Watchers website. Zero point Foods still have calories fat sugar Etc. Hope that helps!

jenny — February 3, 2018 @ 2:01 pm

THANK YOU!! I did build the recipe and it is 6 points! 🙂

Elizabeth — February 4, 2018 @ 11:28 pm

I also had this come up as 9 freestyle points. I put in the nutrition facts you included with the recipe and that’s how it came up.

• Emily Bites replied: — February 4th, 2018 @ 11:43 pm

Sam Shaw — February 5, 2018 @ 12:06 pm

Delicious and so easy to make! I have it all meal prepped for my husband and I to have for lunch MWF. Thank you so much for these bubble up recipes!

Jenn — February 11, 2018 @ 7:59 pm

How do you think substituting the two ingredient dough for the refrigerated biscuits wouldn’t work!?

Jenn — February 11, 2018 @ 8:00 pm

Auto correct!
    That should be “would work”.

• Emily Bites replied: — February 11th, 2018 @ 8:01 pm

I can’t say for sure from experience because I haven’t tried it but somebody else tagged me on Instagram and said they did it and it worked out great 🙂

Stacy — February 20, 2018 @ 1:49 pm

I made this and it came out delicious!!! Where did you get your 7.5oz biscuits? I looked everywhere on Walmart but I couldn’t find it so I used grands and the points per serving are 8sp instead of 6sp!

• Emily Bites replied: — February 20th, 2018 @ 2:57 pm

Hi Stacy,
      I used the Wegmans ones that are linked to in the post!

Alyssa hughey — March 2, 2018 @ 12:21 am

I was trying to think of what to make for dinner when I found this recipe. I had a bottle of Stubbs in the fridge and everything else in the fridge and pantry so it was just meant to be! My family and I loved this! Didn’t have cheddar so I used part skim mozzarella instead. Very good!

Whitney — March 6, 2018 @ 10:31 am

I made this last night for my husband and I. It was amazing! It felt like a dish I should feel guilty for eating, but I don’t have to! I love your recipes, and your site is a go to when I’m planning meals for the coming week. This recipe is definitely one of my favorites! Thank you for doing what you do!